Clear all

Axe-mas Came Early

20 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I solved my Strat problem. My gift this year came early. Long and boring story, but let's just say I got a really sweet deal and I had to jump or lose out. PRS SE Paul Allander model. Traded my MIM Strat and not a whole lot of money for her from the local Guitar Center. This is the guitar I got, http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Paul-Allender-Electric-Guitar-514471-i1471967.gc and does have much better pictures than what I took. I'll replace tomorrow with better lighting.

and

Plays great, sounds better, looks nice. Instant hit.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Rock'n, Roy!
That's a great looking guitar. 8)
Enjoy!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Very nice! I didn't know you were into metal axes! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!
I didn't know you were into metal axes!
Me neither. I tried a semi-hollow for about the same price (another SE type?) this Spring. That thing was smoking hot. Not what I was looking for at the time, but knew I would be soon enough. I swear, I no sooner set my old Strat down and saw this in my inbox from online competition to GC. My wife had pointed it out to me at the GC last week too. All the stars aligned price-wise and could not pass it up. Also made shopping for me a breeze this Christmas. :mrgreen:

It's got .09s on it. I did a quick bend on the G and almost made it go two steps sharp. Must put a set of .10s on it quick-like. Don't think I'll go 11s on this quite yet. too darned fun the way it is.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Merry Axe-mas Roy! Enjoy! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

PRS makes awesome guitars - I see one in my future - Hey, if there good enough for rparker & Santana... :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Oh my . . . that purple burst over the quilt top does look nice doesn't it . . .

Merry Axe-mas!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!

A mini-review:

I've run it through some motions this morning.

Running clean, the neck pu is not quite as thick as my Epi LPs. The Bridge pu is not quite as thin. It does seem clearer or crisper at any position. Even my wife mentioned it. It's well balanced. One tone and one volume POT. Might be limiting at some point. The POTs themselves, though, are fantastic. Best volume POT of anything I have. Well, tied maybe with my Gretsch. A true 1 through 10. not 0-1-8-10 like my Epi LPs. Not strikingly quiet at lower levels like my MIM or Sq Teles.

The bridge is really nice. Kind of like a Fenders, except that you can go sharp all the way and it drops you back down to level tuning. Flat worked almost as well. Doing a small trem or vibrato is almost zero risk getting it out of tune.

Takes to any of my driven or distorted patches on my M-EFX board quite handily. I think this is where it shines the most so far. I do a lot of clean playing, but I've been doing more and more driven things lately. This guitar is very much at home. I did not detune it to try those new Metal CHA-THUNK sound yet, but it did handle any of the low string distortions in standard tuning just fine.

It's got quite an interesting neck and fretboard on it. The neck shape is called "Wide Thin" on the PRS web site. I tried some songs that I historically have trouble doing for any length of time due to some very minor thumb strain I got going on. It didn't change a whole lot, but it was a bit better. The neck width is really what does it for me. I don't know what width it is, but thre is plenty of room for string clearance. The combination made it easier to go up and down the fret board, like when doing that verse riff for Pink Floyd's "Learning To Fly". It also gives me better clearance on some of the odd jazz type fingers. It makes me stretch more going from low to high E, but the 25 inch scale seems just right going up and down frets. This was something I liked about the Gretsch I got this year too.

In the end, it can do clean just fine and do driven really well. Pretty easy to play over all. Stays in tune decently, bends like a breeze. It's not quite the Jazz type of clean that an LP will give you, but it's certainly not a twangy clean. Maybe "thick and bright, but without so too mud or twang" is the best way to describe it. Here's a link to the PRS page. At the bottom you'll find a small you tube video. Gives you some good idea at 1:00 in. http://www.prsguitars.com/allender/index.html

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@fibaz)
Eminent Member

Merry Axe-mas. that is a stunning guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Does "R" Parker stand for Ralphie Parker? Is that your Red Rider? You lucky SOB I hate you! :lol: Just kidding, it looks beautiful Roy. You deserve it too. I am very happy for you.

PS Melt Black Bart's face with a killer riff! :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks fibaz!

TR, you're the one with a Prophecy. Someday a GX will be mine. Mine I tell you. Mine!

I guess the losing an eye thing could be a metaphor for losing an ear due to it's allure that makes one want to turn a knob on my GT-10 a couple clicks to end up on a pro-co Rat model running into an amp model.

Funny thing, every time I get anything of expense, I always have the buyers guilt thing going on. This time it was "what am I doing with a metal axe"? type of thing. Then I think of the tiny amount of drive I tried with the strat to play "Midnight Rambler" and having it sound like crud. Good trade. In retrospect thinking about the Strat, I now think that the bridge was adding some weird tone. I did have to oil down some really creaky springs. Makes me wonder. But yes, it's a great way to solve my Strat problem. My Floyd Rose guitar is proper shape and scale length, and has single coils on it. Big ones. :mrgreen:

Oh, and thanks. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@melody)
Eminent Member

Wow, very, very nice!

Get rid of that buyer's guilt and just enjoy! :D
This kind of purchase falls under the category of necessities of life doesn't it? :wink:

Mel

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yeah, that's darn nice. What a beaut!

No need to have remorse & guilt, no way man.

Life is short and there aren't enough guitars already, eh? :shock:

I'm a PRS person too, with two of 'em, but I kept it conservative on the bling side. Didn't even make a comment when there was the cool post awhile ago about PRS doing great throughout the recession. Heck yeah, why not? :lol:

There's never any sign that you're a hoarder, that Strat wasn't doing 'ya much good so go ahead, let it fly and enjoy! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Nice snag....good enough for Jimmy Herring too!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2