Clear all

Axe-mas Came!!!!

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I had no plans at all for any gear this season. Period. However, a little gift card arrived today from a family member. Sooooo, I went into the GC to take a look around. I was gonna stock up on some little parts that need attention on my existing guitars, such as tuners and switches.

Well, they didn't have everything I was looking for and the place was hectic, so I decided to just take a look around and then do something later. We (my wife and I) were almost done when I saw a this butter-scotch Squire Affinity Tele. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special?sku=515115 I'm not sure what got me to do so, but I decided to pick it up and give it a whirl. I plugged it into an amp and played around for a bit. I instantly new I liked it. So, I got me a new axe.

The 2nd best part was that they came down in price enough to match my gift, so I didn't spend any money. $150 out the door. A new first happened as well. The guy went and got a new one in a box instead of the floor model. At first I was aprehensive as I like the one I played a lot, but remembering the liberal GC return policy and that this should be free of dings and such, I figured what the heck. Noise was getting to me too, so I grabbed it and ran.

I got it home, tuned it up and am really digging it. I've got a MIM already that I leave in G, so I wasn't too un-familiar with the feel. It's got that spanky little twang that we all know so well. Sounds really good coming out of the Blues Deluxe. All the frets appear fine. No rough edges, etc. The tuners are cheap, but nothing less that what I expected. I do need to adjust the intonation, but figure I'd wait a couple of days to be in it's environment before I do so. The action is pretty decent, neck straight and tight, no buzzing, easy to play and sounds really good in the mid and neck positions. The bridge sounds too tin-can like, but I feel that way about most of the guitars I play. That's all clean rhythm. Have not run it distorted or driven or anything yet.

All in all, I was quite surprised by this thing. We've all picked up $150 guitars and not been impressed, to put it kindly. While I won't say that this is a $1,000 guitar in a cheap costume, I will say that you could do much worse for under $200. So now I am in Vic's company (and Wes's too, I think?) of Squire Tele owners.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Congrats and many happy riffs!

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So now I am in Vic's company (and Wes's too, I think?) of Squire Tele owners.

Yep, still got my Squier Custom Tele, wouldn't part with it - keep it in open G these days, with the action raised slightly. The MIM Tele's my main guitar, though I really wouldn't mind one of these - Squier Custom Tele - my Squier's a similar model, in black, but with two humbuckers, while the MIM's got the single coils.

Congrats, and enjoy!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

So now I am in Vic's company (and Wes's too, I think?) of Squire Tele owners.

And me!
Congrats Roy! :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool! Have fun with it!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Merry Axe-mas Roy! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I got a Squire Standard Tele ......... Congrats Roy!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good to hear from you Roy. up and about eh?
nice guitar. I love that butterscotch color.
yesterday I tuned my tele to open G.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Roy! 8)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Great Roy - Merry axe-mas, war is over.

We want sound clips We want sound clips! :)

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Nice. I'm sure that new axe has a few good original tunes in it. Now its up to you to dig them out! Enjoy your new axe bud!!!! Merry Christmas!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Axe-mas ranks a place in Washington State, I guess!

Have fun with it...

cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Congrats and have fun with it! :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Roy :D

I own a Squier Standard Tele, don't play it every day, but I play it at least once a week. Squier makes very good guitars, especially when you compare the price to a Fender. They don't sound quite alike, I think the Squier sounds a little darker than my Fender Tele. But this is not a negative thing at all, the Squier has a dirtier, MEANER tone than my Fender. It is great for Texas Blues type tones especially. And you can get lovely Jazz tones on the neck pickup. Mine stays in tune just fine, the fret job is excellent. All in all a great guitar for the price.

Have fun!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jaguar)

i own a squire jagmaster, and its not in that great shape at the moment when i bought it one of the humbuckers was not great i always used the neck humbucker which i accidently broke, so now it sounds really quiet and i can only pay it on very distorted tone with the gain right up to get any sound. so ive been playing my acoustic instead andto play punk having alot of fun playing it, i really like but i listen to lots of diffrent music and have realised i dont have to play loud and distorted to create the music i like to play for example the pixies play clean as well as distorted and so do the violent femmes... sooo i was wondering if i bought that guitar you have (the tele) if i still needed to could i get an distorted sound out of it if i needed to?
as i have to otherwise buy new pickups for my guitar and it keeps coming out of tune so il have to sort that out to i may aswell spent the money (which i dont have very much of) and get the tele cos it sounds like a real good guitar for the price. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2