Clear all

"Back" in the saddle, and a question

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I finally started picking up the guitars again after a layoff from back surgery (three herniated discs). I couldn't be in any one position for too long, including sitting or standing with a guitar. And of course I'm back to my old bad habits of losing track of time and overdoing it. :roll: Fortunately I'm far enough along now that as long as I don't do this every day I'm OK.

Anyway, to the question...

This is about Losing My Religion (the song, not my patience :lol: ). Why is it that I can keep the rhythm going when playing by myself (though I can't sing and play, so I just hear the voices in my head :mrgreen: ) or with a Youtube cover, but I lose it when playing with the original recording? My rhythm is the proper timing, but it's nowhere near consistent strokes. For example, I can keep a ddu udu (what most people seem to play) for each measure playing by myself or the aforementioned Youtube covers, but not with the original recording; then my strokes are all over the map... e.g. ddu dud or ddd dud, dud dud, etc. Maybe there's a lot going on in the recording that is distracting? Anyone ever encounter this? It's annoying.

Anyway, it's good to be back to being totally annoyed and frustrated playing guitar. :mrgreen:

[Edit]: I got it. It was just a matter of concentrating and practicing it a few times. It was just a mental block. It's not as smooth as I'd like, but it will definitely get there with practice. The rhythm is actually [ddd udu] [udu udu]. Each [ ] is a measure.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.