Clear all

Badge Solo??

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, the solo from Badge---by Cream is pretty awesome. My question is in how it is played. The key seems to be G, and I know the solo can't be a pentatonic because of all the extra notes. I think it is played in G major scale, is this right??

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Yes.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks! Now I can freestyle it.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I looked at that tab, IMHO it is not correct.

This is probably my favorite guitar solo of all time. I spent a couple of days learning it.

I will tab it out for you tomorrow. I promise you it will be very close if not exact.

I did a tab on this song in the Easy Song Database awhile back, it should be there. But I only tabbed the rhythm guitar.

Greatest solo ever. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a powertab of it, the solo sounds good. I didnt really check that site as I have the tab, but thanks, I will definately check your post wes, as I really enjoyed your other Cream posts.

PS- I agree with you, this is one of the best solos ever! I saw a live video of Badge on VH1 classic the other night and have been obsessed with the solo ever since. I've heard the song numerous times before, but seeing it live was amazing.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Hey, Wes: just idly curious what you use for an effect on the "Leslied" parts of the bridge? (Which I understand is where the title came from, when someone misread someone else's writing of "bridge" as "badge." And the "swans" line is reportedly a Ringoism. He wandered in while Eric and George were working on the song. Yeah, I won a copy of the Royal Albert Hall London May 2-3-5-6 2005 CD with some of this trivia. :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Doug

I think a good Rotary pedal would be good for the arpeggio chords at the bridge. I don't own one, just play the notes straight.

michhill8

OK, here you go, I tabbed out this solo. I know you didn't ask for this, but I wrote a very detailed and analytical tab.

If you have ever wanted to study bends, and released bends, this is the solo. But it has so much more as well. Notes stopped short (staccato), slides, moving in and out of the Minor and Major Pentatonic scales. And the most amazing thing is how smoothly and fluidly EC plays this solo. Nobody can hope to really play this just like EC, but it makes a great study of lead guitar, especially Blues based lead.

The problem with my tab is I was not really able to show timing. I tried to use spacing to give a sense of time, but your will really need to listen to the original recording. This tab will be very close.

And if anybody thinks Eric Clapton is just "pretty good", I challange them to study this solo and you will see just how incredible a guitarist he is.

One long note--------- pick pick
bend ^ r ^ r ~~~~~~ r
e--------------------------------------------------
b---13^(15)(13)(15)(13)(15)(15)-------(15)-13p-10--
g--------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------

slow r ~~ staccato
e------------10--------------------------------10---
b---------------------------------------------------
g---12^(14)--------(14)-12--10-------------11-------
d------------------------------------/12------------
a---------------------------------------------------
e---------------------------------------------------

The opening phrase to this solo is incredible. The first note is bent up one whole note, released back to pitch, bent up again a whole note, released back to pitch, and bent up a whole note again. This is all one long note and done very smoothly. Then this bent note is picked and held while Eric puts a wide vibrato on the note. Then the bent note is picked and slowly released back to pitch and then pulled off to the note at the 10th fret. So really, you only pick just 3 times in this opening phrase, just fantastic.

Then Eric slowly bends the G note at the 12th and holds this note. He picks the D note at the 10th, goes back to the bent G note, picks and releases this back to pitch.

The last 3 notes are simply sliding a D chord up. The D note on the high E string is played staccato (abrupt).

I am still blown away to this day by this unbelieveable opening lick to this solo. I cannot get over how smoothly Eric plays these bends and releases, very difficult to master.

slow rel. ~~~~~~~ ~~~~

e----(13)-12p-10------10---13^(15)------13-—13^(15)-13--
b-----------------13—-----------------------------------
g-------------------------------------------------------
d-------------------------------------------------------
a-------------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------

r ~~~ ~~

e---(13)-12p-10h-12-10-------------10-------------10-10--
b-------------------------10h--12---------10h-12---------
g--------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------

The very first note in this phrase is from the 2nd position of the D Major Pentatonic. EC is a master at moving from the Minor to Major Pentatonic scales. This note is bent ½ pitch and then stuck, very slowly released back to pitch, then pulled off to the 10th fret. The next bend at the 13th fret is bent very quickly up a whole step and vibrato applied. The note at the 13th is then played normal, bent very quickly up again with vibrato, then played again at normal pitch with vibrato applied. Then the original lick is repeated. The last 7 notes are from the 2nd position D Major Pentatonic. The vibratos in this phrase are narrow and fast.

Staccato ~~ ~~ r ~~~

e---13—15^(17)---13---------------(17)-15p-13h-15-13-----
b--------------------15-15----------------------------15-
g--------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------

e-15^(17)-15^(17)-15^(17)-15^(17)-15^(17)-15^(17)-13^(14)----
b---------------------------------------------------------15-
g------------------------------------------------------------
d------------------------------------------------------------
a------------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------------

For this phrase EC moves up to the D Minor Pentatonic 2nd position with your index at the 13th fret. The first bend is staccato, stopped short. The next bend is bent, then picked and slowly released

The second line is probably the most exciting part of the solo. Here EC plays a series of very quick and abrupt bends played staccato. You want to stop the note at it's peak with a combination of letting up very slightly (and quickly)the pressure with your fretting finger, and also allowing the pick to touch the string readying for the next note. Justunbelievable. This is when Eric is singing,”Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah”. The last bend is played with the index, you raise the note only slightly, not quite a half note. This is a famous “blue note”

r ----r r

e------------------17---------------17(19)---------------------
b-----15---17^(19)----(19)17--15-------------17^(19)-15h-17-15-
g-/16----------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------------------

This phrase is a smooth continuation of the last. Here, EC slides up to the D Major Pentatonic 4th position. The 1st bend is a classic Country bend used by EC a lot. Then the bend at the 17th is EC at his best. This note is bent very quickly, held and slowly released back to pitch. The bend on the B string is bent and slowly released.

e-----------------------------------------------------------
b---15^(16)---15^(16)---15^(16)---15^(16)---15^(16)—17^(20)-
g-16--------16--------16--------16--------16----------------
d-----------------------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------

This phrase is pretty fantastic. It is a classic Blues lick. The note on the B string is very slightly bent each time. The last band is very big (1 ½ notes) and quick and stopped short (staccato)

e-------------------------------------
b------13-----------------------------
g--/14-------14-12p--10--------------
d-------------------------12--10--12--
a-------------------------------------
e-------------------------------------

Here EC slides into the D Minor Pentatonic 2nd position, but then slides down into the D Minor 1st position. One last phrase and the solo is over.

e--------10---------10---------10--------10--------------------
b-10h-12-----10h-12-----10h-12----10h-12-----------------------
g--------------------------------------------12p-10------------
d----------------------------------------------------12--------
a--------------------------------------------------------12---
e--------------------------------------------------------------

Here, EC goes back to the D Major Pentatonic 2nd position and plays a classic Blue hammer-on lick. Then, for the last 4 notes he goes back to the D Minor Pentatonic scale, slide off the last note.

That's it, hope you players who really like to copy solos note for note like it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's probably the coolest thing I've ever seen Wes. Thanks... A LOT! So I take it this solo is in D major/minor pentatonic and not G major like I guessed.

Which leads to my next question about analyzing this song. The verses and chorus are written in the key of G. So why did they jump to D for the solo???

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

michhill8

Actually (I use that word WAY too much), the verses go:

(Am) Thinkin' bout the (D)times you drove in my (Em)car
(Am) Thinkin' that I (D)might have drove you too (Em)far
(C)And I'm thinkin' 'bout the (Am)love that you laid on my (Bm)table (Am9)

2nd verse, same as the 1st. :D

Then the Bridge plays D, C, G, and D (starts and ends with a D) over and over again. The solo is over the Bridge. I don't know theory, but because it starts with D, the solo is played in the D Minor and D Major Pentatonic scales.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

michhill8

Check this out. Here is a video of Clapton playing Badge back in '96. Now the tab I posted is for the original Cream recording back in '69. EC plays this solo much differently, but you can hear a few of the original licks. He is still using the D Major and Minor Pentatonics for the solo.

This is a pretty great version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMY_V7vK8a4&search=badge%20eric%20clapton

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hah funny you post that, because I was watching the same video earlier. As long as I know what he's doing (D pentatonics) I should be fine to noodle with it myself. Thanks everyone.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Wes,

That IS the coolest version ever. I have that concert on video and CD, and it's got some of the best stuff ever.

The 2nd to last song he plays, Everyday, amazing blues.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote