Clear all

Band song suggestions

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, here's the deal: My roommate has been playing the drums for about a year or two (but he hasn't had much time to practice), and I've been playing the guitar around five. I'm also teaching a friend how to play, but he's only been at it for around six months, so he's pretty much still in the "strumming chords"-phase.

I'd definately like to jam along with them on a couple of songs, but I'm at a loss about which songsbands would be suited for a band in which two of the players are beginners and one is an intermediate. Since we don't have a vocalist yet, a lot of "easy" songs are teeth grindingly boring to play.

If anyone has been in a similar predicament, or has some suggestions for songs that a) aren't too difficult for the drummer and rythm guitarist, and b) don't fully rely on the vocalist to make them exciting, I'd appreciate the input.

(At the moment we've been playing a couple of ACDC tracks such as "Back in black" and "Highway to hell". They work okay, but I would consider these in to be close to as difficult as a song can be for the drummer and rythm player. For example the chorus of "Back..." is still to difficult for the other guitarist.)

This space for rent

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

If youre into Nirvana, besides Smells like Teen Spirit their songs are easy and not too boring. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Try doing a simple 12 bar blues progression in A (A D E) or D (D G A) your beginner can strum and you can solo the drum can do a number of rythyms to keep the beat.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yeah, I think that since you aren't exactly looking to perform, jamming would be the way to go. 12 bar blues works great, and jamming is one of the best ways to build skill and to get used to playing with other people!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

As an intermediate, if you can handle fingerstyle, alot of fingerstyle songs sound good with a backup guitar strumming chords and since quite alot of these songs are somewhat slower tempo they should be easier for your drummer.
Cats in the Cradle
Landslide
Scarborough Fair
Tears in Heaven

ReplyQuote
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

We've been doing quite a lot of jamming, using anything from blues to standard chord progressions. It's all fair and well, but we're looking to expand our repertoire with a few actual songs.

"Smells like teen spirit" would be great, except for the fact that the syncopations make my drummer tear his hair out... :D

This space for rent

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Wild thing is a good one, the chord progression is basically the same as the vocals and just about anyone can scream that one out. Ain't Superstitious by the Jeff Beck group can be done without vocals and give you all a chance to stretch out

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

well, as a band, I suggest that you start singing, but that's all your decision.

There's a few more great jam things to look into, spanish progressions work great and can sound awesome in a pop or rock sound. so songs like "Leyenda", or "Marleguena"(just Em to Am in 3/4) and a great fusion/flamenco progression style is to play in a minor key, and move along the scale really simply, like Emin to Dmaj to Cmaj to Bmin.

That may sound a little complicated or, something you're not looking for, but it's exactly what me and my bandmate have been playing for 2 years now. And I once again suggest you just start singing poorly to keep the band moving, because you're probably at the same singing level as at least your rhythm guy is on guitar.

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

How about Knockin' On Heaven's Door?

Just take some cues from the Guns 'n Roses version for the drums, and it'd be easy to teach your guitarist some theory while you're at it. (And you get to work your chops a bit with some of Slash's solos!)

And, uh, don't forget to tune down half a step. :)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Okay, I guess Smells like Teen Spirit... I mean't some of their other songs that are cool and not Smells Like.... because its kinda overplayed but, hey, whatever floats your boat. :) Also, 12 bar blues is an exellent idea, it gives you a chance to shine(:D) and work on your soloing too. And the rythym track is extremly easy! Don't know about drums though.. should be simple too. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote