Clear all

Barbershop Quartet

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

lol. Im pretty sure this won't be a repost! - I've always like the BSQ sound. Does anyone know the specific intervals for the harmonies each part does? I can't find it on the net - its like elusive secret which can on be obtained by joinig some secret society of BSQ singers lol.
I ask, cos I think it would be interesting to try the idea with guitar harmony. :note1:

(@davidhodge)

Barbershop quartet harmonies can be incredibly involved. There's no secret formula for "specific intervals." It's a matter of chord voicing and arrangement, that is, making the decision to use a Cmaj7 or Cmaj9 instead of a regular C chord. Great barbershop groups are amazing and you can't find a better way to learn about how important and intricate and imaginative harmony can be.

A good place to start to learn about this sort of arranging is hymns. They are written out in four-part vocal harmonies. Some of them are fairly simple but there are others that are more complex. From their you want to move to choral music (Bach is, almost always, a great place to start). Then it becomes a matter of imagination, experience and styles. In addition to Barbershop, look at vocal groups like the Statler Brothers or, better yet, the Williams Brothers or vocal groups from the forties and fifties (Platters, Penquins, Moonglows, etc.,).

Part of what makes Barbershop work, though, is that each voice has a limited range. When you try to transfer this sort of thing to the guitar or piano, having all the notes at your disposal can make you end up with the voicings you're already used to. It can help by trying to give yourself a range of notes from which to work for each "voice."

Hope this helps and also hope you keep at it. I'd be interested in hearing how things are going with you on this.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

oh ok. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be any specific interval set. Thanks for the advice, I'll definately look into some of that. Maybe I'll do a Mister Sandman hehe 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

a more original pick would be enter sandman
edit: did i really write exit? what the heck is going on?

ReplyQuote