Clear all

Barre Help?

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys, I'm only recently starting to practice barre chords and I'm getting there slowly. Anyway, when I look at the chords of a tune id like to play it lists out the barre chords in it e.g C#M, f# and Ebm etc.. Anyway these are chords that I proably can do (barely) but I have no Idea where abouts they are as I havn't a clue about the theory behind guitars. Can anyone please help me out coz I'm seriously lost.. Thanks Alot

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If we're just dealing with the two most-used barre shapes - A and E shapes, with their variations - then
it shouldn't be too much trouble to work them out.

Take an A chord.....

E A D G B E
x 0 2 2 2 0

You can slide this shape anywhere up the neck you like.....

E A D G B E
x 0 2 2 2 0 - A
x 1 3 3 3 1 - Bb (A#)
x 2 4 4 4 2 - B
x 3 5 5 5 3 - C
x 4 6 6 6 4 - Db (C#)

That's just the major - same applies for the minor chord.

E A D G B E
x 0 2 2 1 0 - Am
x 1 3 3 2 1 - Bbm (A#m)
x 2 4 4 3 2 - Bm
x 3 5 5 4 3 - Cm
x 4 6 6 5 4 - Dbm (C#m)

And the seventh....

E A D G B E
x 0 2 0 2 0 A7
x 1 3 1 3 1 Bb7 (#7)
x 2 4 2 4 2 B7

Now look at the E chord....and variations.....

E A D G B E
0 2 2 1 0 0 E
0 2 2 0 0 0 Em
0 2 0 1 0 0 E7

Like the A chord, these shapes can be moved up and down...

E A D G B E
1 3 3 2 1 1 F
2 4 4 2 2 2 F#m (Gbm)
3 5 3 4 3 3 G7.

So basically, all you need to know is where the root note of the chord is - if it's
on the 5th string, you need an A-shaped barre. If it's on the 6th string, E shape.
Of course, there are some you can play in more than one place...

E A D G B E
2 4 4 2 2 2 - F#m (Em-shaped chord)
x 9 11 11 10 9 - F#m (Am-shaped chord)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

It's basically what Vic says:

Play an Aminor chord. Then move it up one fret but barre the first fret. You have to change your fingering to do this so that your index finger is the barre. that will be the A#min or barre also know as Bflat minor barre chord. Move that up one fret and you have the b minor barr chord. Move it up one more and it's the C minor, then one more and it's the C# minor bar.

You can do the same thing with the E chord. Play an E chord the move it up one fret and bar with your index finger. That will be the F bar chord. Mve it up one fret and it's the F# bar chord.

When you take your finger off an E chord it becomes an e minor chord. The same applies for the above paragraph. Take your middle finger off from the F bar chord and you have an F minor chord. etc, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help Vic, but it went a bit over my head i'm afraid. I think Im one of these people that needs to be shown. I can see the way the pattern is going but I don't understand from that which fret im actually barring. Please excuse my ignorance, im new to this game and very lost by the looks of it :(

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It's basically what Vic says:

Play an Aminor chord. Then move it up one fret but barre the first fret. You have to change your fingering to do this so that your index finger is the barre. that will be the A#min or barre also know as Bflat minor barre chord. Move that up one fret and you have the b minor barr chord. Move it up one more and it's the C minor, then one more and it's the C# minor bar.

You can do the same thing with the E chord. Play an E chord the move it up one fret and bar with your index finger. That will be the F bar chord. Mve it up one fret and it's the F# bar chord.

When you take your finger off an E chord it becomes an e minor chord. The same applies for the above paragraph. Take your middle finger off from the F bar chord and you have an F minor chord. etc, etc.

That makes a bit of sense , but why does it go from a b minor to a c minor, should it not go b#minor? Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

it should except there is no real b#. if you think about the keys on a piano keyboard, (the blacks and the whites), there is no black key between B and C, and E and F. So there is no B or E. sharp. If your not familiar with the keys on the keyboard then Google up a picture. It's just the way the scale is.

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

it should except there is no real b#. if you think about the keys on a piano keyboard, (the blacks and the whites), there is no black key between B and C, and E and F. So there is no B or E. sharp. If your not familiar with the keys on the keyboard then Google up a picture. It's just the way the scale is.

Cool, this is strating to make some sense, could you just help me out with the below questions and I think I may have it

1) So is the order A minor A#M Bminor Cminor C#minor Dminor D#minor Eminor Gminor G#minor F minor F#minor?

2) When you say it goes F bar then F# bar, so does it then go G bar and G#bar, if so what comes after the G#bar?

3) When you say take your middle finger off the F bar you get an F minor so is this F minor gonna be the same as the f minor mentioned in question one but just a different shape?

Thanks a lot

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

1) almost, the F comes before the G in the alphabet. ;)
2) After the G# it's back to A and you start all over again, just an octave higher.

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

1) almost, the F comes before the G in the alphabet. ;)
2) After the G# it's back to A and you start all over again, just an octave higher.

1) always had trouble with alphabet :wink:
2) what do you mean by an octave higher? when playing the A bar chord to I just move up one fret from the G# or does my finger positions move too?
3) is my assumption on this question correct?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

#1) Yes. but what sleuteelbos said!

#2) Starts with A again. Take the C major scale, It has the notes C, D, E, F, G, A, B in it. After the B it would start with C again. That's what an octive is.

#3) I think the answer is yes. A different shape.

ReplyQuote