Clear all

Bass-Amp Question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I might have asked this before, but if i plugged a bass into my Ibanez guitar amp (25watts, solid state), will it ruin the amp? I don't plan on playing very loudly or heavily, just enough so that I can hear it.

I either want to borrow an old bass from my uncle or buy an old used bass.

Will this destroy the amp?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

probably not, but it might ruin the speaker cones...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What will it do to the speakers exactly? will tweaking the EQ on the amp do anything to help?

I ask because I'd like to mess around with a bass, but I don't have enough of an interest in playing bass to go get myself a bass pack or an amp of any kind. I've been looking at old basses on ebay looking for some sort of no-name bass that's rally cheap and will let me mess around with it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

Bass and guitar speakers are made of different materials.. The cone from a guitar speaker will tear under the low frequency tones of a bass guitar.. Bass speakers also have a little more freedom of movement for the magnet. Another difference is Bass amps are usaully closed backs and from what Im told, it helps to stabalize the speaker.
If you play it at low volumes the speaker will survive.. I havent got a clue on what it will do to your electronics though.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I wouldnt worr, I used to play my bass through my ol practice amp and crank it, and It still works fine.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote