Clear all

Be Prepared!

25 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh yeah, I've run across that one. It's great!

About four years ago I wrote The Colon Preppin' Blues to the tune of Folsom Prison Blues. I think Johnny would've understood.

Many years ago, before learning guitar, I came up with a stage act about choosing practice styles within Family Medicine that incorporated a capella versions of Family Physician based on Hank Williams, Jr's Family Tradition, the Family Medicine Department Theme Song based on the old Mickey Mouse Club Song, and Born To Be A Doc In The Box, based on Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild. I turned away from the audience and changed costumes for each one, being a country doctor, a professor, and, well, a doc-in-the-box. Had on my leather jacket, biker cap and Ray-Ban sunglasses for that one, played a broom and made heavy metal guitar noises vocally. Originally did it for a going away party for a colleague who left us to go into a doc-in-the-box sort of practice, then the med students asked me to do it for them in their faculty roast program in 1991, giving me a "Quilly" award that I still have in my office. (It's the Quillen College of Medicine that I work for.) First time the students let a faculty member participate in the show. I had to reprise it a couple more times, but I think it's pretty much forgotten by now. When I did it in the roast, everybody was howling, and sometime later (next year, I think) a couple of guys from Internal Medicine asked me if I'd work with them on some spoof songs for their residency graduation. I said sure. Got together with them and found they were serious guitar players, and they were amazed to find that I wasn't. They remembered me playing that broom and thought I'd really been playing a guitar! I suspect alcohol may have been involved.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

You ahve the most popular Johnson on this forum :lol: :wink: :shock:

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Way to make learning fun, Ric! :lol:

Bet those memories will stick with those people forever.

What is a doc-in-a-box? A doctor in a clinic?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

If that performance winds up on youtube or something let us know Ric. I bet you did better than you thought though. Maybe I should bring my guitar for the next ACLS class I teach?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

By all means do, TR!

Yeah, Margaret, a doc-in-a-box is a walk-in, urgent care clinic. Or a doc who works in one. :D

Doesn't seem like the words fit at first glance, but they do perfectly.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Actually, rhymes pretty well, you could make a nursery rhyme or a rap song out of it :-)

Doc-in-a-box in a walk-in clinic
Doc-in-a-box in a walk-in clinic

(BTW, I am really impressed at a doctor who can discuss tube electronics in depth .. quite a diverse portfolio there.)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

(BTW, I am really impressed at a doctor who can discuss tube electronics in depth .. quite a diverse portfolio there.)

Are those for his Johnson? :shock:

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My Johnson's got no pickup, sadly. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member