Skip to content
Beginning to play E...

Notifications
Clear all

Beginning to play Electric Guitar With the correct method!

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sepehrguitar)
Topic starter  

Hello there everyone,
First of all, Thanks to your amazing forum!
So I was wandering in this forum that I accidentally found a link to this video in YouTube: (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo2lkVLzHXs ) and I wondered how this 9 years old boy plays his guitar!!! :shock: :shock:
Let's explain my situation to you: I was about 16 years old when I began loving "Iron Maiden" and their awesome guitarist: Mr Adrian Smith. I love his special style of playing. So I started to going to one of our city's guitar instructer,Basically He learned me to have fun with the guitar! not to play it the right way. So now I don't know anything special about playing the guitar just to play some sick chords!!
So basically I don't know how to play it. I wanna learn it the way to make a Band and begin to release our albums! :wink: :wink:
I thought that an awesome book (a book worth to read and practice that will affect me, not the one to waste your money!) should help me.Probably a self-study book. (I know that I should learn it with one who knows the guitar to recognize my mistakes, So don't mention it please! I have one! but he really doesn't know how to teach me!). I've read books like Troy Stetina, but I don't like that method. Please help me with buying my best and last book on this subject! :wink:
BTW I have difficulties in the past when I've tried to move my left hand during chords, I think my ring finger is slightly curved. I'm interested to know your comments about that will this slight curve affect my playing at all?!

Thanks a lot my friends!

(@alangreen)

If he's 9 then I'm....

Watching him says to me he's practised that lesson a gazillion times. My question is not how can he play like that, but can he actually do anything else? Does he have any friends? Has he got a life?

I've got money that says he's socially inept. And do you really want to end up like that?

Your hand looks fine. Stop worrying about it and get over to the lessons on this site - anything by David Hodge is a good place to start.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

and I wondered how this 9 years old boy plays his guitar!!! :shock: :shock: I notice that he seems to be using video lessons from a particular site, if you like what he's doing have you thought about trying some of them?

ReplyQuote
(@sepehrguitar)
Topic starter  

and I wondered how this 9 years old boy plays his guitar!!! :shock: :shock: I notice that he seems to be using video lessons from a particular site, if you like what he's doing have you thought about trying some of them?
Sorry but I didn't notice that, I'll be thankful if you send me the link to those videos whether here or in a private message.
Thanks for your kind replies. :D

ReplyQuote
(@sepehrguitar)
Topic starter  

Thanks to Mr.Hodge; There are tons of lessons on this site, but just one thing is missing IMO and that's a full guided description on how to start with these tutorials?! :? I mean like an index in a book which shows us the correct order to learn its stuffs. I did a quick search and I found that Mr.Hodge has published a book called: "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Rock Guitar". I'm not sure that is it necessary for me to buy this book?
Actually I'm also willing to know your comments about Troy Stetina's method. IMO it's not a correct method for those who really want to be a creative musician in the future...What do you think?

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I know that I should learn it with one who knows the guitar to recognize my mistakes, So don't mention it please! I have one! but he really doesn't know how to teach me!).

Have you tried a new teacher? Everyone learns different. A good teacher might not be good for all students.

As for what book as a do all, end all... that book has not been written. As I said, all people learn different. What works for me, might not work for you, or the other guy. As was said, check out the lessons here. You might find something you like working on. Also try stepping out of the normal stuff you play. If you are a metal guy, try learning some old folk song, or some country, or blues. Might be enough to shake things up, and learn some things that you have not been working on before. I found that when I started learning that what I liked playing was different then what I liked listening to.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@sepehrguitar)
Topic starter  

I know that I should learn it with one who knows the guitar to recognize my mistakes, So don't mention it please! I have one! but he really doesn't know how to teach me!).

Have you tried a new teacher? Everyone learns different. A good teacher might not be good for all students.

As for what book as a do all, end all... that book has not been written. As I said, all people learn different. What works for me, might not work for you, or the other guy. As was said, check out the lessons here. You might find something you like working on. Also try stepping out of the normal stuff you play. If you are a metal guy, try learning some old folk song, or some country, or blues. Might be enough to shake things up, and learn some things that you have not been working on before. I found that when I started learning that what I liked playing was different then what I liked listening to.
Yes I've tried few of them, but I know they're teaching Troy Stetina's method all the same. For some reasons I prefer learning online, by videos or maybe books.
I like to know if someone here have learned by this way.
"s1120",You are absolutly right. Thanks for your reply.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

This is his site www.steviesnacks.com

ReplyQuote
(@sepehrguitar)
Topic starter  

I found the answer to my question about the recommended order of lessons!
Just go to the link named "Beginner Questions" at the bottom, you'll get all the answers to your questions!
BTW My teacher told me that vibrato can be sometimes dangerous for fingers and cause them a serious injury if you use it incorrectly. I'd like to know your safety recommendations about this kind of problems! :? :(
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you're achieving vibrato by bending the strings, then support the bend with two or three fingers on the neck of the guitar. The string bend is achieved NOT by shoving the string (which can cause tendon strain), but by rotating the arm about the pivot created by the supporting fingers.

If you're achieving vibrato the classical way - by shoving the string towards the bridge - then supporting it with extra fingers gives a different quality to your tone.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sepehrguitar)
Topic starter  

I think it's better for me to learn from videos! So please consider leave a post here to the most accepted videos to learn electric guitar!

ReplyQuote