Clear all

bending & hollowbodies

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I like to bend a lot (at least whole step bends) and do lots of vibrato. I noticed that bending on hollowbodies in the guitar store seemed harder than some of the solid bodies. Is it mainly a string gauge issue?

If so, what are the drawbacks of using a lighter gauge on hollowbodies? I'd probably have to get the truss rod adjusted and stuff?

I am undecided between an ibanez hollowbody and a fender strat.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I can't imagine why string gauge would be an issue on hollow bodies. I'd think bending wouldn't be an issue of hollow-body or solid body either. If anything, the type of bridge might affect bending. Was there a tremolo on the guitars you tried?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There was no tremolo.

Bending on the strat I tried was at least twice as easy (could go way farther way easier, up at least 3 half steps easy) than the semi hollowbodies (one was an ibanez as73, not sure of the other).

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

String gauge can contribute, but also scale-length. I would think the hollow-bodies are more Gibson scale though (24.75), whereas Strats are usually 25.5. The shorter length should be easier to bend notes on - I don't know then; good question.

Oh, thinness/thickness of neck, shape of back of neck, fretboard radius, size/height of frets, but I think once you get used to it, it won't be an issue.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A good Hollowbody guitar gets a lot of it's sound from the vibration of the wood. Lighter guages don't transmit as much energy to the wood, and therefore don't sound as good.

However, most hollowbodies you'll find in guitar stores these days are made of laminates, rather than carved tops, and the total lack of tone they produce means that you won't notice the difference in string guages.

So, unless you'll looking at a higher end hollowbody, string guage won't matter.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Twenty-five and a half inch for Fenders have a higher tension than the twenty-four and a half for Gibsons.

I can notice a difference between the two and it doesn't make a difference if it's a hollowbody or a solid.

I even notice a difference on acoustics.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote