24.8 K Views
(@rocker)
Noble Member

epiphonies? u2bono, what do you play?

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

hahaha i meant to say "epiphone is the way to go" and i forgot a space so it came out epiphoneis. sounds like a nasty disease.

and for a serious answer of what i play....Ibanez, Squier, Fender, Martin...and a cheap ukulele

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i have a cheap ukulele to :lol: , no matter what brand of guitar you play, you gotta have a cheap ukulele 8)

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Samick Avion 3. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if you're looking for a nearly-exact copy, i'd say that Epiphoneis the way to go, seeing as they are a Gibson company and whatnot. the Yamahas and the PRS guitars and Ibanez guitars are kinda like LP "inspired" guitars. i dont consider them real knockoffs. for it to be a knockoff, it's gotta like strikingly similar to the real thing.

Then the better/best bets are the various Epi LP Elitists and the Tokai Love Rock, none of which are really inexpensive, but are cheaper than Gibby ... and probably of higher average quality than G.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'd go with an ESP like this:

ESP LTD Deluxe EC 1000

Half the price and a great guitar. Go with the EMG 81 pickups.

Or the Eclipse

ESP Standard Series Eclipse II

Wow.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wes, shame on you. You're going to start a GAS attack and I'm going to be the first victim. :cry:

The store where I shop for guitars carry's them, also. The pictures don't do them justice. They are very nice guitars. I played on an SG version and you wouldn't be disappointed with one of them or the LP. They have great sustain and playability. I wasn't able to plug it in so can't talk about the sounds but just playing it unplugged was a treat.

Shame on you, Wes.....Ah, who am I kidding?!?! MORE PICS!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I would have to go with the ESP's too. Though I'm more interested in the LTD AX series.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

bish

You know you hit it right on the head. One of the best ways to truly judge an electric guitar is to play it unplugged. If it has great tone unplugged, it is probably going to sound fantastic amplified. And if it sounds dead unplugged, it is probably going to sound even worse amplified.

That is a good way to check an electric guitar. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Every guitar I have ever bought was played unplugged to decide if I wanted it or not. I only plug them in to check the electronics.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

My vote goes for Epiphone as well.

*Looks to my avatar*

But I'm a bit biased. :)

Great guitars for a good price. If you want really good, look at some Epi Elitist's. I made the mistake of picking one up at my local store and it was wonderful. Seemed every bit as good as the Gibby's sitting next to it. Almost as expensive though!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

crank,

my black beauty was pretty expensive, after the pup change, i have over 1,000
in it, but this guitar totally rocks 8)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

rocker, I hear ya. My Epi is going to eventually end up with a '57 in the neck and an Angus Young in the bridge. That'll put mine at over $820 at that point. I'll probably upgrade all of the electronics at that point too (though that's not very expensive).

I think they are great guitars and we are lucky to have such great "knock-offs" today.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

jason,

god bless you my man, finally someone that likes epi's, i thought i was the only one
they are great guitars, even without modifications :D

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

We can't be the only ones. I think it's just "gear snobs" that frown on them. Just about every musician I know either owns one or has in the past.

And sometimes, I just want to tell people to shutup and play. Who gives a crap what name is on the headstock?

But on the same token, I'm not one of those people who claim my Epi is as good or better than a Gibby either. I mean, come on now. That's apple to oranges for the most part.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Um, yeah, so Epiphone LP would be my vote. :)

Jason

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4