Skip to content
Better amp cheaper ...

Notifications
Clear all

Better amp cheaper guitar or better guitar cheaper amp?

26 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

If you're learning guitar, then put most of it into the guitar. If you keep saving, and you continue (or raise) your level of interest, then get a better amp. You will be better off in 6 months to have a cheap practice amp, a good guitar, and money to spend on a much better amp, as opposed to a mediocre guitar and amp that will both need to be replaced. $600. You could first chech out used stuff in small indie stores or pawn shops, but the problem with that is as a newbie, you're not going to know what to look for. A new Epiphone, Squire, Mexican Fender, Ibenez, will do fine. I just got a Mexican Strat and love it. I had to check out about 50 of them though untill I got the right one. I've also got an Epiphone Sheraton. They are not the most expensive guitars in the world, but the price tag and the sound/play are not always directly proportional. Alot of people have used Epiphones: George Harrison, John Lennon, and Andy Partridge to name a few. The most important part of this is time you will spend practicing. So get something that feels comfortable and that will hold the tune. Set aside $15 for a tuner. :wink:

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

I say save up. Another 400 and you could walk out with a nice set up. The other added bonus of waiting would be having the extra time to find the right guitar-amp combo that fits you, and your personal tastes.

That's wisdom

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

KP - I'm not sure how interpret that post, but I'll take a stab at - it doesn't matter at this point.

I agree with most of the posts... spend the money on a guitar and less money on the amp.

The point of my post is that the quality of the amp, not the quality of the guitar, is going to have the biggest effect on your overall sound. At least once you pass the first initial hurdle of having a guitar that is good enough to play without fretting out, buzzing, or otherwise behaving in a self-defeating manner.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

My humble suggestion for your budget would be a Squier tele or strat ( standard NOT the affinity)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Black-Chrome-Special-Edition-Tele-Electric-Guitar?sku=519619

I got one of these over two years ago and am still very happy with it. I would buy it through a music store so you can get it set up properly( this makes all the difference in the world.

For about $269 you can get a Behringer GMX 212, is 50 watts and sounds very good for the price. but for $400 you can get a blues Jr. :twisted:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VTone-GMX212-Stereo-Combo?sku=480731

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blonde-Blues-Junior-Guitar-Amp?sku=480491

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

You list three excellent guitars. Get the one that moves you the most -regardless of price. Although it is true that the amp will make a bigger difference to your sound, you need to WANT to pick up your guitar and play as much as you can. A guitar that you love will really help you to do that. At least for me, a great amp just doesn't motivate in the same way. Plus, if you learn on something like a Roland Microcube (which I do highly recommend -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Battery-Powered-Amp-with-COSM-and-Effects?sku=480196 ) then when you get better and want a bigger, more expensive amp, you'll still have a GREAT little practice amp around for when small size counts. In other words, staring with a small practice amp won't be money wasted - unlike starting with a cheaper guitar that you may want to dump in 6 to 12 months.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The point of my post is that the quality of the amp, not the quality of the guitar, is going to have the biggest effect on your overall sound. At least once you pass the first initial hurdle of having a guitar that is good enough to play without fretting out, buzzing, or otherwise behaving in a self-defeating manner.

Ok, gotcha.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You know, I can't disagree with any of the advice. Thats why I asked what you want it for. If you are gigging or jamming you need more amp, but IMO there are lots of $200 guitars and amps that sound good. If you surpass that in an amp, you get the power you need to play with live drums or in a club. If you surpass that on the guitar, you get an instrument that is a little more polished but may not necessarily sound better. Smoking Dog is right about the Squire Standard Tele. I have one. Nice guitar. The Schecter or Epiphone Les Paul will be more polished, but may not necissarily sound any better. It's a personal preferance. A quality amp in the 30 + watt range will cost a little more. For $100 - $200 you can get a small amp that sounds great. I don't think your gonna go wrong either way.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i actually found my used crate 80 watt amp for under 75 dollars, and it sounds pretty good. it's got a good speaker in there. find a place that sells a lot of used amps, and check craigslist and places like that. you'll find a lot of junk, but you'll find some good deals. my amp's reverb tank doesn't work, which is why it's so cheap, but i don't really care a bout reverb, and can always buy a pedal later, so now i have a big 2 channel amp that i can gig with that cost less than most 15 watt practice amps.

ReplyQuote
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

Dude you cant go wrong with a M-Audio Jamlab... Plug your axe in, plug it into the computer and load up the GT Player express software that comes with it and you might as well be on stage.

M-audio Jamlab is $59 at Compusa

I have a VOX AD60VT that I hardly ever plug into anymore. Whenever Im just playing around at the house I just plug into the computer.

Great alternative for someone who doesnt want to spend a lot of money on a Good Amp just yet.

Fender 60th Anniversary Telecaster
Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Squire '51 Tangerine Orange, Dover White Pickguard
Squire '51 Sonic Blue, creme Pickguard, Dimarzio DP100 Humbucker
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I'd get a better guitar and wait on the better amp.

I've heard people say that a great amp will make a bad guitar sound great, but that a bad amp will make a great guitar sound lousy. And this is undoubtedly true.

But a guitar that feels good in your hands and plays well will get played; one that doesn't won't get played no matter how good the amp is.

So I'd say get the best guitar you can get, use an amp that will get you by, and then later start thinking about where you want to go amp-wise.

What he said...

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@dickdale)

TRGuitar mentioned the "Roland Cube". I have one, the 30 watt and it is an awesome amp. It has great roland effects built in including modeling. I think I paid about $250 for it new. You could probably by a used one on ebay for $150. That leaves $450. That Epiphone you mentioned is hard to beat for the price, I don't have one but I have played the Les Paul model and I have to tell they are very nice.

Always end on a 6th chord..

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2