11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi!

I saw Joe Perry play with a Gibson Guitar and a BIGSBY on it

I was wondering if we could put a BIGSBY on any kind of guitar?

What are the advantages and the disadventages of using a BIGSBY?

Thanks!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Bigsby trems seem to work very well on many styles of guitars: solid, semi and full hollow, as long as one installs the correct version on the guitar (for flat solid-only surface mount, short tail archtop, long tail archtop ...) Besides, semis and hollows, I've seem Bigsby trems and their clones on LPs, SGs, Teles, Surf guitars (Jazzmaster-type), Reverends, Gretsches, Ibanez Artcores -- but never (or rarely) a Strat, Super-Strat (usually FR) or clone. The (Super-)Strat exception is likely because these guitars already are designed and built around their particular trem systems.

Bigsby trems are known for preserving or improving the general tone of the guitar, as opposed to some other trem designs that radically alter sustain and suffer other ill effects (lots o' trem gargle). A Bigsby is not a dive-bombing trem, but typically delivers the more subtle, shimmering trem found in the rhythm guitar of surf, rock-a-billie, some swing and some country. It will do rock and alt duty (John 5 and Joe Perry as noted), but ain't a shredders trem. Shred-land is where you will find Floyd Rose and Strat floating trem.

If you add a Bigsby to your guitar, you also may need to change the bridge -- a roller bridge is best, but a normal Tune-O-Matic will work if will 'tilt' back and forth with trem action.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

This is not really a reply to the first post in this thread. Instead it is a thumbs up to Gnease. What a great, complete, accurate answer to a question. I am always impressed with the depth of knowledge of those on our board. I am equally impressed with their ability to share it with others. Great job, Gnease!

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, thank you for the answer :)

I don't have a trem on my guitar so the BIGSBY looked interesting

BUT, my Ibanez is a "string through the body" guitar, so adding a BIGSBY, I'll lost that and at the same time, I'll lost some sustain, which is very good on my guitar... So, I'm still thinking about it

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Check out the Bigsby website. You can choose your guitar and it will tell you which style and model will fit.

http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/products.html

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I bought one for use on a flat body guitar over a year ago for a guitar and changed my mind about that guitar. I will be putting it on one of my projects soon though.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Check out the Bigsby website. You can choose your guitar and it will tell you which style and model will fit.

http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/products.html

Yikes, it's about $100 for one on my guitar. I'd be afraid to install it, lol.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Installation for these is really simple. Compare it to adding the other types of trems. Bigsby, screw some screws into the body in the right place, maybe replace the bridge with a compatable bridge. All others, drills, routers (cutting big holes in the body of guitar) and other stuff that is just too much for after market minor repair/project.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@elderberry)
Eminent Member

Yikes, it's about $100 for one on my guitar. I'd be afraid to install it, lol.

Yep. I looked into one of these for my Ibanez AS73 for a short while. Seems a little steep to me for a piece of aluminum, especially on a guitar that only costed $300.

King Harvest has surely come.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, It would cost that much for one then I'd have to install it. I'd rather buy one of these for just over $500 and the thing is installed and I'd have another guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5135-Electromatic-Corvette?sku=513281&src ="3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=30083462"

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I almost bought one of these in black not long ago:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-Electromatic-Pro-Jet-with-Bigsby?sku=511587

ReplyQuote