Notifications
Clear all

Blue-grass Style Picking

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@brfoster)
Topic starter  

Boy, I'd really love to play something like this redention of Wilco's "Don't Forget the Flowers" (which is pretty much spot on!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ0XKinbPrQ

Anyone have any pointers how/where to get started?

(@alangreen)

Obvious question - have you got the music?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@brfoster)
Topic starter  

No, the best I can find are some chords but that doesn't help too much as complicated as it sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

That's a great video. I hadn't heard of that band he's covering but I think I'll pick up some of their music.

Is it just my imagination or are there more guitars than the one we see in the video? Like sometimes I hear the bass line but don't see him playing it??

ReplyQuote
(@brfoster)
Topic starter  

That's a great video. I hadn't heard of that band he's covering but I think I'll pick up some of their music.

Is it just my imagination or are there more guitars than the one we see in the video? Like sometimes I hear the bass line but don't see him playing it??

I know, it's pretty amazing that he's getting all those different sounds inlcuding the bass lines, strumming, and imbellishments all by just up and down strumming. I think he's just that good though!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

It may seem like "all by just up and down strumming" if you are only using your eyes to listen. The trick to playing like this is using short picking strokes and being confident of hitting just the strings you want to hit. It's really not all that hard to do (we cover the basics of this in numerous lessons here at Guitar Noise as well as in many of the podcasts) but it does take a while to build up the confidence in one's playing to make it work.

The real beauty of it is knowing that even when you make a mistake, most times you're just hitting another note in the chord you're playing and no one besides you will know that you played something you didn't mean to. Unless, of course, you make a big deal out of doing so.

Start out simply - play just one chord and on each stroke (whether up or down) instead of hitting the full five or six strings of the chord simply try to hit one, two or three depending on what you'd like to do. Many players find it a lot easier to do than they first thought it might be.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@brfoster)
Topic starter  

David,

First of all, thanks for the response. You are an incredible instructor and by far the best resource I've found since I started my guitar journey a year and a half ago.

As for your comments about this song and style of playing, I see what you mean. Maybe we can loosely compare it with your "connect the dots" and "As Tears Go By" lessons (man I wish the music/tabs were still out there!). I eventuallly mastered As Tears Go By and can play it strumming or finger style.

I'm sure you have no shortage of ideas or requests for lessons, but something like this song with bass lines, constant strum, and lots of hammer-ons/pull-offs would be a great lesson that I'm sure a lot of players would appreciate. Also, if you know of any lessons already out there or sheet music in this style please point me there.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

And my thanks for your kind words as well.

And I'll definitely put something up on this as soon as possible. I've a chapter in the upcoming Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar on crosspicking that deals with this but because of the book length (not to mention all the topics it tries to cover) it could certainly be more in depth. My hope is that I can extend a lot of the lessons from the book with lessons here.

Regardless, this is certainly a topic that many beginners could use some help with, so I'll get right on it. And let me take a look through my library and I'll get back to you with other resources as well.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@brfoster)
Topic starter  

Alright folks, well I tried my hand at this and as David said it's not as hard as you might think. After a bit of practice I found this becoming pretty fluid. I just play straight eighth notes keeping my hand moving up and down constantly. You do have to be careful to hit the righ bass strings to get that bass-line.

So, here it is..."As Tears Go By" cross picked (please don't throw eggs!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TEiGjdeQog

Enjoy and good luck if you give it a try too!

Brent

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That's great work! As you get more comfortable and confident, you'll find yourself able to use single or double string hits for the chords strokes you're currently doing and then you're pretty much on your way!

Very cool! And I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more.

Peace

ReplyQuote