Clear all

Blue Steel Strings

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If this is a repost or in the wrong section please move/delete.
Has anybody had experience with these? I was told that they cryogenically treated strings, what that means i have no idea. I was thinking about picking some up today, but wanted to know if anybody had a good/bad experience with them first.
Thanks

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I thought they were strings that give you a piercing gaze, not as polished as La Tigre, but more subtle than Ferrari. ;)

On a serious note, i don't know of anyone that's used cryogenic strings.
Would love to hear what you think of them after a test run though...

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

I had a set of 9 hybrids put on my LP Studio and I love 'em. They seem to bring out the best in the humbuckers. I don't know what all that treatment stuff means either, but I tried 'em because someone told me that Dean Markleys and D'Addarios were their favorites. In all fairness, my LP strings (bought before Christmastime at Guitar Center) may have been dead to begin with, but the Blue Steels really seem to have livened up the pups. All in all, I'd say they're worth a try! Just my experience...

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well, the idea is that at low temperatures, the molecules would line up in a more regular manner, since lower temperatures decrease disorder(entrophy). this should theoretically have an effect on tone and durability. i don't have any experience with the strings, or know whether you'd be able to tell the difference.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've used them before a couple of times. Nothing special in my opinion, but nothing bad about them either. I prefer my trusty D'Addario EXL110's. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'd agree with the nothing special label, but they are the strings I use on all of my guitars.

I played many different brands trying to find one that stood out. While these don't have magical finger fixing properties they do have a great balance across the spectrum. I like the bass response a lot and the upper end is bright without being tinny.

When I'm done with this box I'll probably go on another string hunt just because I'm anal-retentive.

By the way, these are the first strings that I like equally across all of my guitars. I would find a brand that would sound great on a dreadnaught and suck on my parlor. Keeping track of that many different brands of strings was too time consuming. Heck I'd need Dennis C. to make me a spreadsheet.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I'm assuming these are a special coated string??? If so I tried another brand of coated strings before and they lasted a little longer but the coating just kept falling off while was playing. But if these do somehow give a better tone or something let me know and i'll try some out.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'm assuming these are a special coated string???
No, Blue Steels are not coated. They are treated with liquid nitrogen in the manufacturing process, which allegedly makes them last longer. Otherwise they are normal uncoated strings.

Martin has cryogenically-treated 80/20 bronze acoustics (the Blue Steel acoustics are phosphor bronze.)

GHS has "Sub Zero" electric and bass strings treated the same way. Both are ordinary nickel-plated steel, whereas the Blue Steel bass strings also come in stainless steel.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Sounds sort of interesting, but all it does is make them last longer??? Seems like that would be bad for business. I might try some out on my acoustic, I don't really change the strings on it that much anyways.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

They do seem to last a good long time.

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i hate to say it but i didnt get a chance to get to the music store hopefully sometime next week

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I think it's just a method of charging more for the strings or differentiating them from others. I haven't used them though I'm probably going to buy new bass strings (the ones that came with it look like they might have been on the guitar when it was a new guitar, instead of just new to me). I don't mind payin extra for bass strings that have magical properties, since I probably won't change those but once a year (and then it probably won't be an issue of dead strings, but I just wanted to try a diff set of strings...).

ReplyQuote
(@kickinstonesblu)
Trusted Member

Good info. Didn't understand the differance either.Thanx

KSblu

If I don't remember it....It didn't happen

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

If it's good enough for Ted Williams' head, it's probably good enough for my guitar.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

I've used them on my acoustic, strange they are not a warm string even though they were PB's. Their merits are, pleasing tone with no jingle on high strings, last a long time but most impressive they stay in tune! I usually tune up before I practice and always need to tweek a string or two, with these after checking them several times I didn't bother anymore.
Only other string I used that stayed in tune that well were DR's.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2