Clear all

Bluegrass

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well guys, though i never played bluegrass but after all this time im interested to it for some reason, anyway, last night i tried to play the basic blue grass rhyhm and faced a major difficulty. plz someone help me out....my question iswhile playin the basic bluegrass alternate bass rhythm whith a PICK where do u rest your hand, on the bridge or on your pinkie?? because to get the proper balance u need to rest your hand, and plz guide me to the proper method.
thanks all :D

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Most bluegrass guitarists I know rest on the bridge - since the guitar tends to be more treble in sound, picking close the bridge works well.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ya. while playin the solos i also rest on the bridge but how can u rest on the bridge while playin the rhythm, it gets kinda complicated, u cant freely shuffle, plz give some more explanation.
thank :)

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I usually have my pinkie lightly resting on the guitar top for rythym strumming. Sometimes I have the edge of my palm brushing along the bridge pins. Use whatever feels comfortable for you.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

For bluegrass (and really everything else also) you want to have a loose wrist and NO finger plant. A stiff wrist or a planted finger will both slow you down. Sam Bush only plays with a stiff wrist because he broke his wrist badly.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I always rest my pinkie on the face of the guitar. Maybe that's why the bluegrassers I jammed with left me in the dust :(

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

its all about how you hold the pick. Its pretty easy to go fast when you hold the pick like it is about to fall out and pick with a loose wrist. Your hand should never hurt or get tired because you should not be using any muscles in it.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote