Clear all

Bluegrass fans and just randomn questions

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So the guy that got me playing guitar is a very accomplished musician and I now see where he has been taking me the whole year we have been playing together (I use that term loosely) He is a big bluegrass fan and finally has me up to speed to be able to play some simple G C D chord progressions at a speed he likes and he springs on me, Oh yeah next monday we are going to an open mic night at a local Bluegrass jam and we are playing this piece.
GregoTx playin the guitar and pianotunerman on the banjo

DOH............... Yeah, I know its only three freakin chords but I am not totally sure about this routine.

What are bluegrass jams typically like, is there such a thing?

I love bluegrass and the whole newgrass revolution and I am even headed to Telluride this year to see the festival but I never intended really to be playing bluegrass, of course I have never really had intentions with my playing, I have just been learning from this fella a little here and a little there.

He is now telling me he thinks I should start working on playing bass some, his statement was I would be able to really participate in jam sessions alot more proficiently, I think he just needs a bass player, what do yall think :)

anyway, how do, here we go.........................................................

I can honestly say I have been playin this silly guitar for almost two years now and I dont know a single song, but Ill be dearned if I dont know the neck of the guitar. My brother wants me to teach him how to play and while I can teach him the neck and bar chords and scales and how they interact I cant teach him one song not even a three chord tune, man I have issues. :lol

So I guess tonight I am off to learn House of the rising son and Mother. Any other easy song suggestions.

As for my experience I always end up playing rhythm for songs like Jessica or some They might be giants tune for these guys, they will have to call the chord progression and give me a few runs through but I get it fairly easily. I just have neer focused on learning specific songs.

(@denny)
Reputable Member

There's an Easy Songs forum here that should be able to help you. By all means, go to that jam, you'll have a blast and you'll also see that the people there are just having fun. You'll be able to move around and get a good feeling for bluegrass.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you are being groomed in a most positive manner. your friend knows you have talent, so go with that thought.
the jam will be a blast. you will find your fingers hitting the right notes and your rhythm will be smooth and quick.
you will be surrounded by flatpickers and the tempo will be fast (except for the mourning tunes). each picker will take turns. if they look at you they are signaling your turn. if you are not ready just turn your eyes downward with a head shake. ( I usually have a look of horror on my face. that's why I turn my eyes down. LOL).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@windbreaker)

Bluegrass jams are a lot of fun and a great venue for playing with a lot of other pickers. You will always learn new stuff and the "pickers" are always eager to show you something new, or how to play something you've been struggling with. And you are always welcome to join in with them, even if it's just as a rythm player.
I've been playin' for 30 + years, everything from pop to folk, country, rock, blues, and celtic, but bluegrass is definetly my favorite genre of music. And it is really helpful to play with as many different people as possible.
Have fun and enjoy the ride!

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Sounds like you are progressing nicely. You really do need one song you can call your own, though. Check out a couple of songs by an Austin progressive bluegrass band called "The Greencards". I posted "Time" in the easy song forum and the other one is "Long Way Down". Both songs are just G,C,D, Em, well written, relatively slow and somewhat modern sounding (for bluegrass). Your bluegrass buddies will probably listen and want to join in, they won't roll their eyes at you as if you broke out into "Margaritaville", and you've got that Texas music thing going which should add to your rep.

Good luck.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice, very helpful, any way you can point me to these two songs I was unsuccesful in my search.

ReplyQuote
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

WOWZA they played fast,
I had a ball and even managed to sit on the side with my buddy and we did a Robert Earl Keen tune that was very simple and he laid Banjo licks over it until we kinda figured it out and the all knowing bluegrass crew figured it out and in came an acoustic bass and then another guitar, it actually felt like playing:) but boy did I need the lyrics
hahahah
lots to learn, thanks for the encouragement

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Way to go Grego, when's the next one? :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

actually next monday evening I will hopefully be attending a meeting of the N. Tx guitar club and I will be doing my best to be a wallflower and learn from the meeting, I have seen song lists that range from, BB to beatles, CCR and Stones, we will see what happens, but the bluegrass jam is every monday night int he springtime at a local watering hole.

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Grego,

Time is under "Time - the Greencards (beg.)" buried on pg 3 in the easy songs forum. I'll see what I can do to get you "Long Way Down". You can hear a sample of each song at http://www.thegreencards.com .

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote