Clear all

blues guitar instructional dvd?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@macguy787)
Topic starter  

Hello,
I'm really starting to like blues guitar. Can anyone recommend any instructional dvd's to purchase? There are SO many out there that I'd rather have some of you intermediate / advanced players comment on.

I bought the book "Blues You Can Use" and it has been fantastic.

Thanks in advance,

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

hi macguy787, not sure what level you're aiming at, but if you liked BYCU and can play the songs, then you're pretty advanced. I don't actually own any of these DVD, but I've seen some good ones by Robben Ford (Back to the Blues) and by Keith Wyatt (Rockin' the Blues, Play Blues). If you like a particular style, there quite a few interesting ones out there by Buddy Guy, BB King and Albert Collins.

Sorry for not actually being able to talk from experience, and perhaps some other people are able to provide some more details.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

For acoustic fingerpicked blues, check out this excerpt fromKeb Mo's lesson DVD.

Actually, I don't think I've heard anyone complain about any of Homespun's videos.
Here's a clip from another of theirs, Rory Block teaching Robert Johnson style

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Actually, I don't think I've heard anyone complain about any of Homespun's videos.

Never heard of them, but they look fantastic, lots of acoustic blues instructions. And Bob Brozmas, what a treat.
The other blues DVDs I have are Stefan Grossman's Country Blues Guitar series. Pretty good material on them, but only acoustic fingerpicking blues, nothing electric.

ReplyQuote
(@macguy787)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply,
I am almost halfway through BYCU. I don't read music very well on the guitar (I'm a former piano player in my youth) but I can still count (can't keep time worth a damn though). My guitar teacher typical supplements the book with his .02 so it works quite well for now. I'm just looking ahead to see what else is out there. I've been on YOUTube but every Joe seems to have some type of instructional blues video on there and only a few of them teach well. I'll have a look into all the mentioned DVDs in the thread. Thanks again, much appreciated.
hi macguy787, not sure what level you're aiming at, but if you liked BYCU and can play the songs, then you're pretty advanced. I don't actually own any of these DVD, but I've seen some good ones by Robben Ford (Back to the Blues) and by Keith Wyatt (Rockin' the Blues, Play Blues). If you like a particular style, there quite a few interesting ones out there by Buddy Guy, BB King and Albert Collins.

Sorry for not actually being able to talk from experience, and perhaps some other people are able to provide some more details.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Try Justinguitar.com he has a set of 10 blues videos on there for electric guitar, fairly simple but a good start in fairly logical progression. They are also on Youtube
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

I am not sure if this site has been mentioned here before, it has some great blues backing tracks available for download, all recorded in a studio with real musicians. http://www.lawrencefritts.com/backingtracks.html They are excellent tracks, great for practicing your blues chords and riffs.

ReplyQuote