Clear all

Blues questions! (licks)

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

In some blues songs there are licks repeated over, but based off a different chord, for instance the I-IV-or V.

For example in the key of E, play the lick in E, then A, then B, then back to E. I hope this makes sense.

Anyhow, my question is that are all the notes played in the key of the song?? Or do you change keys with each chord?? Hopefully this makes sense. An example of this is "Pride and Joy" by SRV.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can do both.

For instance, a song in E (E, A, B7) you could play the E Minor Pentatonic over the whole progression. Or, you could play the E Minor Pent over the E, the A Minor Pent over the A, and the B Minor Pent over the B.

And you don't have to play the Minor Pentatonic. You can play the Major as well. Eric Clapton often goes from the Minor to Major Pentatonic as in Crossroads.

You can mix it up anyway you want. You could play the E Minor Pent over the E and A chords, but then go to the B Minor Pent for the B7 chord only. Next time through play the E scale over the E and B chords, but play the A scale over the A only.

Hope I haven't confused you. But you can mix it up anyway you want. If it sounds good, it is good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

wes, you wrote the words right out of my keyboard. !

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

wes, you wrote the words right out of my keyboard. !
I'll second that!

You're a master of the simple explanation, though, Wes - I'd have made the same thng sound twice as complicated :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

you can also use the chord notes.

example: E7 notes are E G# B D

when the chord changes so do your lead notes

example: A7 notes are A C# E G

lots of jazz players do this

i like to do this and use a pentatonic as a back up. you can do a lot with 4 notes 8)

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member

download paul gilbert's guitars from mars 2. he explains all this stuff in great detail

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

where would I find that?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote