Clear all

Blues/Wah Help

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@angryelephant3)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Today I finally got a wah pedal from Guitar Center, something I've wanted to do for months. Its a Dunlop Cry Baby and I love it. However I don't know that many songs that use a wah in them. If you have any ideas on songs please share. I like anything from Satch to SRV to Alice in Chains to Clapton. It really doesn't matter. So songs for a wah, thats number one.

Number 2 is I really like the playing the blues but don't listen to them very much. I know a few riffs such as a blues progression which is one of my favorite things to play. I'm hoping one of you guys/girls can give me a few more simple but cool riffs just to mess around with.

P.S. Just bought the new Wolfmother CD after reading about them in two magazines. Its not too bad, kinda sounds like the White Stripes to me. Some cool solos on Apple Tree and Where Have Eagles Been. Only cost me 8 bucks. I recommend them if you want something different, but not for those who want something focused the whole time on the guitar, if that makes sense

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Alice in chains - Man in the box has wah, i believe. I believe White Room by Cream has wah as well. Listen to Metallica and you're bound to hear wah (Enter Sandman, for starters). There are tons really like SRV's rendition of the hendrix song 'voodoo chile'

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@mhill54)
Eminent Member

Alot of Guns N Roses is full of WAH. Sweet Child of Mine for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

"Fools' Gold" by The Stone Roses is a pretty classic use of wah-wah.

Also, it's not lead guitar, but the single version of "Across the Universe" by The Beatles has one of the rare uses of wah-wah on their records.

"Burning of the Midnight Lamp" by Jimi Hendrix is defined by its wah-wah, and is a pretty simple riff to learn. And "Rainy day, dream away" from "Electric Ladyland" has the terrific "talking" wah.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I believe White Room by Cream has wah as well. Yep. sure does. I've got a CD with SRV doing "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" live, and it opens with some great muted or "choked" wah lines. Jimi also played with the order of his effects in the chain, to try and get something new, maybe going for distorted wah by putting the CryBaby before the Fuzz Face.
I only saw three of the guys featured in The Way They Play: The Blues-Rock Masters (Backbeat Books; Hal Leonard 331011) who didn't use a wah, according to the book. They were Duane Allman, Roy Buchanan, and Albert Collins. The other six Masters (Buddy Guy, Jimmy Page, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd are the only ones not already mentioned in this thread) had/have 'em, usually a Vox.
Remember the instrumental breaks in Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" from back in 1970? Now, that pedal must've about had its hinges worn out. :lol:
BTW, the jaw harp sounds in The Band's "Up On Cripple Creek" (1969) were done with a clavinet played through a wah, or so I've read. So if you get bored with guitar practice, and have a clavinet sitting around . . . :wink:

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

ANY Los Lonely Boys tune.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

As for the blues, you won't get anywhere without listening to the good stuff. 8)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@angryelephant3)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone I'm currently trying to play Man in the Box. :D

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Man in the box also has a talk box effect, if I had the money to buy that effect, along with a nice microphone, I'd pick up the Danelectro one because I love the talkbox sound.

To add to what I said, another thing you can do besides using the wah conventionally is use it as sort of a filter, you can turn it on a put it heel up if you want your guitar very trebly.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Get some backings and just play over them with your wah for the next few weeks. Pretty hard to not learn anything that way. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Los Lonely Boys is great. I think a great example of their work can be found on the Live at the Fillmore cd, particularly on Dime Mi Amor.

I think the great thing about them (apart from the way they sound) is that their guitarist has a very minimal set of gear. I think he uses a Vox Wah.

http://www.llbfanclub.com/gear.htm

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I've never heard anybody over use a wah pedal so much in my life. I watched them on tv one night, and there was a nice wah solo, but it turned out that every song had one, it wasn't that intesting after the 3rd time in a row.

Pearl Jam's Ten and Vs albums have a fair bit of wah leads.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

Get some backings and just play over them with your wah for the next few weeks. Pretty hard to not learn anything that way. ;)

Where can you find some good backing tracks to play over??? I'm lookin' for a wah-wah too.:P

Thanks.
-Alex

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

I've never heard anybody over use a wah pedal so much in my life. I watched them on tv one night, and there was a nice wah solo, but it turned out that every song had one, it wasn't that intesting after the 3rd time in a row.

Pearl Jam's Ten and Vs albums have a fair bit of wah leads.
I agree, they really follow a formula to all their songs. I really enjoyed the first album a lot and got to see them live. They were awesome and hope to see them in the fall with Santana again.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Geek: there are plenty of commerical backing track disc, you can find a whole lot of free ones here:
http://www.guitarbt.com/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2