Clear all

Blues You Can Use Question

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@squidward)
Topic starter  

Hi All
I have been reading the thread on Blues You Can Use timeframes, and it sounds like it could be an interesting book to work through. I've had a dig around the website but can't find any information on wether it's suitable for acoustic as well as electric guitar! Can anyone help me out? I have both an electric and acoustic guitar but I'm on a bit of an acoustic blues thing at the moment and like the sound of what peoople are saying about this book.

"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."
- Jerry Garcia

Have A nice Life
Squidward

(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member

The CD that comes with the book is all electric, but sometimes I am feeling too lazy to break out the elec. so i play it acoustic. It seems that all of the lessons can be played with an acoustic. My $0.02.

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Squidward,

The book is for electric guitar. There is a thread in the BYCU forum in which John Ganapes answers a similar question. Some studies can be played in acoustics and also the progressions but a great number of studies are only for electric. Techniques as bending which is used in probably 19 of 21 studies are not easy in acoustics. So, the John Ganapes' recommendation is to use with electric.

There is a good book for acoustic blues: Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar. It is a different approach. I don't have it yet but I'll buy it in the near future. I have to finish another fingerstyle method first.

You can read the indexes and the first lesson of both books by using the 'search inside' facility in Amazon.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

I only play acoustic guitar but I've found the book to be quite helpful. As mentioned above there are techniques that are better suited to the electric guitar such as bends but one can do slides and hammer-ons on an acoustic. In any case it has quite a bit on scales and progressions in it - something that I have never really paid too much attention to in the past. Most (if not all) of the information can be found in the lessons on this site but BYCU keeps it together in a very well laided out manner. When I decided to buy it, I saw more in it that I would find useful than not.... sort of like buying an album where I seldom like all of the tunes on it.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I found the thread! 8)

BYCU Forum: Acoustic Guitar Bends

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

+1 for BYCU being for electric. As said in an earlier post, there are LOTS of bends in the lessons.

HOWEVER, the progressions (i.e. 12 bar blues) can be played on acoustic as well.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

If you are wanting a book for acoustic blues I like this one. I haven't worked through it all yet since I haven't played the acoustic for a while. When I get back into an acoustic "mood" I'll be working on it again.

Acoustic Blues Guitar by Keith Wyatt
http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Blues-Guitar-Ultimate-Beginner/dp/0769200389/

As for the bends in BYCU on an acoustic - I could see doing the half step bends and the full step bends away from the nut (maybe 5th or 6th fret on down). However, I play with 11s on the electric and 12s on the acoustic so it's not such a big jump in string gauge for me.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I play in Acoustic (just see the avatar) and I'm working with BYCU....I also thought it was going to be frustrating...but now I can work the bending in the acoustic with good results (I'm using two fingers). I read somewhere that working bends and hammer ons pull offs in the accoustic is an excellent exercise for the fingers.

my 2 cents.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I just started the book and I'm using my acoustic. If it gets to tough I guess I'll have to break out the electric.

ReplyQuote