Boss Metal Zone v DigiTech Metal Master X-Series

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,
While a love my Vox, I really wanna get a higher output metal distortion out of it. Ive been looking at these two pedals (found here http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Guitar-Distortion-Effects--2612 ). Does anyone have any experience with em? Many of the reveiws from ppl on that site say its the Digitech is better than the Boss...But the Boss MT is a classic pedal :?

From the demos on each of their sites, im leaning more towards the Digitech. The Boss seems to accomodate for 70s rock type stuff too, which i dont care about cos I can get that sound outta amp perfectly. But like I said if anyone has any input about either of em...

(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

Never have been a big fan of Digitech products although I've owned quite a few over the years so I've never tried that pedal.

Now as for the Metal Zone I've had one since 1990 I think and I'll never get rid of it. Though you really need an EQ to go along with it (I just use a Boss GE-7 pedal).

Having said all of this I have heard that this brand new Digitech pedal sounds just like the Metal Zone (plus 6 other classic distortions)...I may grab this one myself. Might be worth checking out...
http://www.digitech.com/products/DF7/DF7.htm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/150838/

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

One question...When I use my Boss DS-1 for distortion, it sounds good but sorta muffled, not really as clear as the distortion from the amp.
Is this common to all distortion pedals??

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not really, kinda depends on the combination of amp, pedal and guitar. Try the pedal before you buy it.

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

Funny must be my amp that's the problem because the only thing my mt2 is good for are extremely overdriven metal sounds. through a solid state amp i can't seem to get anything else useful out of it. sounds great if you want that early metallica sound. really agressive sound

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I myself wouldn't call the MT2 versatile either...

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

for the previous 2 posts...

Who said the MT-2 was versatile? :roll: That's one thing I would never say the MT-2 is and the reason I don't use it much anymore, still keeping it though. But it's great at what it does...CHUNK through a cranked tube amp...(with help from an EQ)...I never turn the gain past 6 o'clock on it.

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

my comment was in response to the original post regarding the 70's classic rock tone. I don't hear that in that pedal at all is what I was saying

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

my comment was in response to the original post regarding the 70's classic rock tone. I don't hear that in that pedal at all is what I was saying

Ok gotcha man....I was thinking you guys thought I said it was versatile....it's cool...no it's for chunk or for severely saturated gain (which is useless to me and should be for everyone) :wink:

Has anyone checked out that pedal that I gave links to up there? It's too new to be in music stores around here...I'm interested.

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

Has anyone checked out that pedal that I gave links to up there? It's too new to be in music stores around here...I'm interested.
Ya I have! I've never seen it before...I'll go to one of my local guitar shops and if they got it in ill test it out for you. If you want to find out about it

But neway back ontopic Simon definetly go with the Boss Metal Zone. I've Played both of these and to me the sound doesn't sound anything like its from 70's rock.Pfft! If you wanna play some sorta Metal lean towards the Boss

ReplyQuote
(@elijahbaley)

Simon

I was just wondering if you had intentions of buying more pedals? If you like the Boss pedals, why not go for the Boss GT-6 Guitar Effects Processor? I know that since I got my GT-6 I have had no inclination to get any other pedal. If you have the Vox Tonelab, I believe that is pretty good too.

There are several metal settings on the GT-6 that are adjustable to whatever you want. Just an idea.

Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

I don't think the thread starter is paying attention anymore but I just noticed that pedal I was referring to also models the Metal Master by Digitech so you're gonna get that as well, interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

lol I am still paying attention...just havnt replied yet lol :? So thanks for the replies, ill probabley go for the Boss

As for the 70s rock thing i was talking about - If you goto the Boss website and go to the demo of the MT2 one of the sound examples it has is '70's rock'

Some of the comments on the Boss sound like its perfect for my liking - The early Metallica sound, the saturated gain which I've always wanted - Not to blast out any ultra-heavy-drop-z-death-metal but simply for high gain lead. Think Big Bad Moon by Satriani, the way the first solo comes in really strong with blistering gain... That kinda thing :P

Anything less heavy can come from my Vox, cos its its a modelling amp.

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

The metal zone is one smoking pedal, especially when you get them modded by this guy on line (forget the link). It's pretty versatile too in terms of the eq. Never tried the digitech, but construction quality is usually the complaint I hear on it. The metal zone is built like a tank. I got mine used for 30 bucks, from what i could tell it was very old, but it kranked. The only real problem I had with it was battery life. The extreme parameters that it gives you come at a price, and that price is a new battery every week if you play 2 hours a day average, so get the adapter. In terms of sound, the metal zone will not dissapoint.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

The MT-2 delivers fearsome distortion! Super-long sustain and heavy mids and lows like a stack of overdriven amps lets you show 'em your teeth. A three-band EQ gives them a wide range of distortion textures all at your command.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MT2/#anchor

ReplyQuote