Skip to content
Bought a new guitar...

Notifications
Clear all

Bought a new guitar, wrong inspection tag?

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just picked up a new Fender American Stratocaster, everything looks great but when I got home with the thing (after the store closed) I noticed they put the Guitar in the wrong case (still a strat case) and it doesn't have the correct inspection tag, as in the serial numbers don't match up. I'm working all day tomorrow so I wont be able to go in until Sunday, however I'm calling and informing them tomorrow that I've got the wrong tag. I'm really tempted to tell them if they cannot find the correct inspection tag then I want this one exchanged out for a new one where everything matches.

Anybody here think I'm over reaching or am I doing the right thing? I feel kind of like an bastard but at the same time, I spent some good money and I'd like to keep all my documentation.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't think it would bother me.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Is the case the same case, just different serial number? If it's the same type of case, I wouldn't worry about it. If they took the guitar to the back and gave you a different guitar than you handed them (looked the same, but different serial) then I would complain. If it's just the case that's got a different serial, then yeah, I wouldn't worry about it, you aren't playing the case.

I had a similar instance where I bought a guitar that came with a hard shell case, they couldn't find the case, and told me they wouldn't give me one because "the guitar was on sale anyway" (had to contact the corporate office to get it fixed)

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I just picked up a new Fender American Stratocaster, everything looks great but when I got home with the thing (after the store closed) I noticed they put the Guitar in the wrong case (still a strat case) and it doesn't have the correct inspection tag, as in the serial numbers don't match up. I'm working all day tomorrow so I wont be able to go in until Sunday, however I'm calling and informing them tomorrow that I've got the wrong tag. I'm really tempted to tell them if they cannot find the correct inspection tag then I want this one exchanged out for a new one where everything matches.

Anybody here think I'm over reaching or am I doing the right thing? I feel kind of like an bastard but at the same time, I spent some good money and I'd like to keep all my documentation.
Well, I feel just as you do; After quite a few "off-color" dealings over the years, I have a fairly short tolerance level for this sort of thing. Sure, everyone makes mistakes, I understand that. But as you mentioned, you paid good money for something you expect to be right.

I would do exactly as you stated - I want another one where everything is matched up. Sorry, the world/big business has soured me with too much dishonesty in the past... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

after seesawing my thoughts.
I agree. go back and tell them what you expect.
this IS an American Fender. the value has a good chance in going up and in 50 years from now
having everything matching, intact, etc, will be a collectors dream.
the price of good guitars is higher now. with that purchase the business should be about quality service and attention to detail.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I agree with dogbite.
Here's an example of how small details can make a big difference for collector's items.
I was given a model NASCAR automobile as a gift one Christmas and I was told it was a collector's item.
(Like your guitar, it had a serial number and there was a limited number produced - limited edition)
I know nothing about NASCAR except that cars go in circles for a few hours.
So I kept the car in the box and placed it on a shelf in the den.
Next Christmas I was given a showcase to put the car in.
So I took the car out of it's paper box and placed it in the glass case.
Then when the person was visiting she noticed the car and told me, that without the original box the car came in, the car loses most of its value as a collector's item.
Fortunately I had placed the box in a drawer.
So, yeh, be picky.
It's your money.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I went in and talked to them today, I was getting a little worked up over what seemed to be nothing, they were completely cool about the whole situation and understood where I was coming from. They're getting a new shipment of guitars in this upcoming Tuesday and they told me I can have the pick of the litter. I already know I either want my Candy Cola with a maple neck replaced, or if they have a Blizzard Pearl with a maple neck, I'll take that. This is why I'm much happier dealing with smaller guitar shops, the customer service is there.

Thanks guys! I'll post pictures as soon as I get it.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I went in and talked to them today, I was getting a little worked up over what seemed to be nothing, they were completely cool about the whole situation and understood where I was coming from. They're getting a new shipment of guitars in this upcoming Tuesday and they told me I can have the pick of the litter. I already know I either want my Candy Cola with a maple neck replaced, or if they have a Blizzard Pearl with a maple neck, I'll take that. This is why I'm much happier dealing with smaller guitar shops, the customer service is there.

Thanks guys! I'll post pictures as soon as I get it.

Aircooled, I was keeping quiet about this issue (again) as I didn't want to turn others off. Hey, you got great reponses!!!

Everybody's been wonderful here, but it doesn't mean we will always agree. I hoped you would get a guitar and tag that matched, but not have to give up your chosen guitar.

What a dilemna, after you made your choice, made it your own, and played it! I was thinking you might go to the shop and get the right case and tag together, if they hadn't given them to the worng person, another customer?

On American Fenders, if you plan to keep the guitar for awhile, and I will show my near-30 year old, ummmm..... like many have said, that tag, the case candy, the brochure, tools and even the box and outside shipping carton (never seen unless you ask) is worth bucks and credibility.

I keep all my tags and pouches etc., but separaetly, never with the guitar, in case of an inordinately opportuned theft, I would not like the thief to get those precious goodies as well. Other than Brickhouse Security http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ :lol: :lol: :lol:, I try to record and photograph things, also there's those new microchips with GPS tracking that you can put onboard.

My 1980 Olympic White, ash & Nitro Lacquer & 22K gold NOS "The Strat" from Fender's Dan Smith that took 3 full years to build (so is it 1980 or 83? :roll: ) with original X-1 bridge pickup and 9 stock sounds, Brassmaster Bridge and big sustain block, inside, but also 22K plated. Got the Shallow V BTW. And the signed original tag, Owner's manual, what else, with hard case, making it a show hog...

Nevermind that, this about YOUR tag bro, go get 'em, play and enjoy, while the value goes up, up & up. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Haha, oh trust me, I really, really, really don't want to take this one back, I had 2 different people looking for the correct stuff and they couldn't come up with anything. It's not so much that I'm worried about resale because I know I'll never sell it, it's more or less I'm extremely, EXTREMELY OCD about documentation on everything. Example, I have no idea where my electronic battleship game is, but it was the very first purchase I ever made when I was 4 years old and I still have the receipt for it, and I know where ever it is, inside that box it has the manual in perfect shape and any special offers that came with it at the time. I have filing cabinets organized by year, inside of that organized by category, and if it's something I frequently buy it's organized by shop; everything in front is the newest purchased. I can go into more depth but I think you're starting to get the point.

But no, I'm already very attached to this guitar and the last thing I want to do is take it back, I know it's probably hard to understand but I just cannot keep it. The only way around this is to actually go to California and have Fender disassemble it, reassemble it in its check points and make a new tag from scratch which I would be 100% willing to do if I had the time and money. My main concern is, I already consider this guitar mine, I don't know if I will like another one as much as I like this one which may lead me to hang up the new one and really not play it. I don't know, we'll see, if they come in on Tuesday and I can't find one that I like, I may just keep this one and make the drive to California sometime this winter and call it a vacation or something. I need to call them up though and make sure it's something they're willing to do.

Ever see somebody change his mind halfway through a paragraph?

ReplyQuote
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

First picture I've taken of it.

Edit: It will cut off part of the image if I past it in here.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I like that! It looks like the SX I bought and rebuilt with returned beer can money except it would take a few more cans to purchase that one. :roll: :lol: Very nice indeed.

As far as the collectability thing, I don't do much of that. I'm in to playing them. The only guitar I have that went up in value is my 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Bought it off the shelf, no box, no case, no packaging no literature. I saw one recently going on E-Bay for $1,200 (same year, gold hardware and ebony board) and I paid $750 for it but I would never sell it. I don't play it though, might scratch it. :shock: Actually the real reason I don't play it is that my Gibson Les Paul Special and Epiphone Les Paul Standard feel better in my hands. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That is one gorgeous guitar! American Standard, Chrome Red or historic Candy Apple, I didn't look it up, but like both!

Just look at the nice deep amber tint on her neck. Man that is priceless. What a gem. No wonder you want to keep her.

Mine is stored, along with the correct or verified paperwork in a separate drawer, but it wasn't so easy either. There was a similar catch.

On the Chrome Red, New American model, I originally had a leftover serial # from yr. 2000 that didn't exist, and had to order a documented replacement, missing my target 2001 altogether in the process, since it was stamped 2002, or a year later, when I got it.

I'm sorry that you have such a dilemna with an otherwise perfectly delicious Stratocaster, and a dream machine for sure. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Glad things worked out for you! On a side note, I didn't know that the guitar would go up in value, that's pretty cool.

But looking at that picutre, wow!! What a great looking guitar!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, on that note I've gotta post one more picture I just finished up.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Definitely a nice guitar, as for an inspection sticker..if that's what you want then I'm glad it worked out for you.

Hmm this is just a regular American Strat? And how much is this value going to go up? As much as inflation? What would be the reason? Just wondering because I can't imagine going out and buying a used American Strat right now and paying more for it than one I could buy brand new unless there is something unique about the guitar that would make the value go up.

Are you planning on playing this or keeping it in the case as a "collector's item"?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2