Clear all

Bought a new one...again

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Broke down today and bought another guitar...at my age I should know better, but I don't think I'm done buying guitars just yet.
Two years ago I sold my beloved 30-year old CBS Strat, and last year, my 28 year old Gretsch/Sho-Bro 7-string resophonic, and my old A/E Washburn's neck was pretty much gone, so I wanted something to PLAY.....
and so...about two years ago I got a nice new Takamine cutaway A/E which satisfied me for quite a while.
But later I started realizing how much I miss an electric guitar.
The last week or two, I've posted here asking for feedback/opinion on a Tele American Deluxe, and on an Epi Lucille BB King model...virtually no feedback....but thanks to those who actually answered.

Today I went to see an old buddy...Steve Paskin....former Canadian Open 5-string banjo champion, with whom I used to play many a tune back in the late 70's-early 80's. He was just a kid then.
Anyway...Steve now runs Johnstone's Music Land in Midland, Ontario.
I bought a gorgeous Epi Les Paul Custom....black, with white binding and all gold color hardware...exactly the same colors as my Takamine....he had a couple of Gibson Les Paul's there...I tried them... but I didn't think they sounded better, and they weren't black anyway. :wink:
This Epi has a really fast neck, and sounds GREAT through that Black Box effects board I have..."sounds like I can actually play"..... :wink:
Will be getting maybe two more guitars before I'm too old to function....and they will be black with white binding, and gold hardware...any deals on Taylors that you know of ? :D Might still look at a Tele Delux also...
My kids can just sell the damn things when I die, if they want the money....why should I make it easy...? :lol:

Old Dog.
In Black.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

:> Nice

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo-child)

Congrats, the Epi Les Paul is a great buy. Its on my short list.

Shame on you for selling the strat! :P

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice guitar. Congrats!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

nothing as pretty as a black les paul with gold hardware, i'm sold, oh ya i have one, but
i want another lol 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@johnnycobra)
Eminent Member

black and gold... just like my guitar. congrats

Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook exposes the Six Biggest Mistakes guitarists make that destroys their progress. Free instant download at StartRocking.com

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Sorry I missed your earlier query, I have a Lucille and it is fantastic. You can still get one next, they are blackwhite boundgold hardware like you want ;)
Congrats on your Les Paul anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone, I am having some fun with the new toy ! :wink:
Thanks Biker Jim...maybe that Epi Lucille should be "next"..... 8)

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The Epi Lucille that I ordered last week has arrived at my dealer....he just phoned and said it was a fantastic guitar.."you just won't believe this" he said...."best hollow body I've ever had in the store.." 8)
Unfortunately it is snowing like crazy here with high winds, poor driving conditions, and the dealer is 60 miles away, so I won't go over for it until next Tuesday...(he's closed Mondays).
Happy Easter all fellow posters. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Epi Lucille that I ordered last week has arrived at my dealer....he just phoned and said it was a fantastic guitar.."you just won't believe this" he said...."best hollow body I've ever had in the store.." 8)
Unfortunately it is snowing like crazy here with high winds, poor driving conditions, and the dealer is 60 miles away, so I won't go over for it until next Tuesday...(he's closed Mondays).

Oh, man! That's rough!

Happy Easter to you, too! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Whoa....picked up my new Epiphone 'BB King Lucille' today....and haven't seemed to have had time for a decent meal....or much of anything else. 8)
What a great guitar...sensitive as can be....neck similar to the Epi Les Paul Custom...but...."feels" different.
The 5-position "Vari-Tone" control is different than anything I've had before on an electric guitar.
I am comparing the sound and feel I get for certain riffs and melody lines between the two...there's more of a different touch required than I anticipated.

I have both Epis plugged into a 1/4" splitter going into the Black Box.
From there I run the Box into a little Fender JAM amp, set on Crunch...this is acting as my preamp (speaker working), and then I have the out line running into the microphone/line side of a Fender Acoustatronic amp...
Then I go in the next room to play.
I am 64 years old, played a lot for the last 43+ years, but haven't had this much fun with guitars for quite a while.... :D
This may take all night.... :wink:

(I haven't yet tried the stereo feature....with Lucille, you can, if you wish, run two cords off the guitar into separate amps or channels...each pickup plays through it's own amp, or channel)
regards;
OdNt43...bluesin', jazzin' and having a few rye & gingers..... :D

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Glad to hear you like her!
What strings does yours have? Are they the BB King hybrids? Mine was second hand and had Elixiers when I got it.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Biker Jim...thanks...I don't know what the factory strings are...specs don't mention, but I doubt
they'd put on premium strings..
I would guess they are Gibson Pure 009's, or very similar.
Dealer threw in a couple of sets of those.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ok cheers, didn't know if they would have them or not. Might give some BBs a try anyways

ReplyQuote