Clear all

bought a prs se soapbarII

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

bought it yesterday. i played a prs about a year ago that i really liked. it was an lp copy with the p90 pickups. it just felt right in my hands and ears and was about $500, but i didn't buy it. anyway, i've moved twice since then, and i sold all my gear over the course of that time, since it's prohibitively expensive to transport gear overseas on a plane, and it just takes too long to ship.
they had two prs se's in stock. one was a sunburst, and the other was wine red. i tried them both out through a vox amp, and i liked the wine red one much better. it had a smooth, strong tone, and sounds good in every toggle position. the neck pickup especially sounds rich, warm, and creamy. it's got good sustain (you can just see the sustain) and the neck is really thick, which i actually like, even though my hands are small to average. thin necks just feel flimsy to me, and flat backed necks don't feel right. i like the opposite pressure i can get with my thumb on this one. it doesn't feel perfect, but it feels good enough for no. i'll probably trade it in someday for a better model. kind of a strat body with smoother curves. wome red's not my favorite color, but it's not ugly, either. i'll have to replace the pots with low profile pots, though, since i hit the volume pot when i'm struming violently.
anyway, the best part was the price. i asked for a hard case instead of a soft, and it came to $418, which is less than the tag said. it was discounted for some reason. i've always wanted a hard case. even when i had a les paul, i only had a gig bag for it, and i was always buping it into chairs and doorways. this one should last a long time... the only damage will be from me playing it to death.
i have a little portable amp that runs on 9 volt batteries, but i'm going to look for a new one that goes to 11. i'll probably go with marshall, because i love the tone and i liked my old one.

(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

Congratulations on the new prs. Sounds like you got a great deal on a great guitar.
best of luck with the new equipment

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new guitar. I've never played a PRS, but next time i go to GC, I'll have to make it a point to try one out. Have fun with it. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

HI! I have PRS Santana SE. It's a made in Korea and is Silver/gray with a black pickguard. I got a good deal on mine--new on Ebay for $400 but it sounds like you got an even better deal. These guitars are indestructible!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nice one. The original Soapbar got a good review in Total Guitar magazine the other year.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations on your new PRS, Jason!

When we had our guitar teacher help us find our first electric guitar, it was between a Fender Strat and a PRS. An appropriate strat turned up first, but since then we've added a Hamer that has the P90 pickups. Love their sound.

Have fun!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Been tempted myself by that one -- Enjoy!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i noticed this later: the backstop is actually designed so that the strings go over it and are threaded in backwards. i did this anyway with my lp, so this is pretty cool. i've never noticed that on any other guitars before.

ReplyQuote