Clear all

Broken strings

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cobra22)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok I broke the string of G on my 6 string guitar, well it will be a few days before I make it to get another one. But I have a set of strings except the one that I need. So I was wondering if I could use one of the others as a temorary replacement?

I am addicted to the guitar, just like I am addicted to air and water.

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

this is a lesson for you

ALWAYS have extra sets. not just one. i make sure i always have at least 3 extra sets per guitar

anyways, i dont think i'd mess around and pput another string in it's place. might make the tension a bit wonky

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

That used to always happen to me - I'd break a string at 5 on a Saturday, wouldn't be able to get new ones until Monday (I lived in Utah for a year, music stores weren't open on Sundays). That happened a couple of times, then I made sure to buy several sets at a time.

Until you're able to get new strings, you can use a different string. Either the 'B' or the 'D' string from the set you have will work, it'll be putting a different amount of tension on your neck than your guitar is used to, but it won't damage anything.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

if you have a floating bridge it will mess your tuning up slightly...ive had it happen

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I break strings from time to time. I always replace them all together. cause i have found that 5 old strings and one new one will make you have a tone type problem. so just replace thm all. Don't even fool with using different strings etc. when you go get strings then get 2 or 3 sets. I'd recomend at least 3 sets and buy more when you have only 1 set left to use. this way, you'll never have this problem again.

ReplyQuote