Notifications
Clear all

Buckethead

23 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member

... I'd almost go as far as saying he's the most talented player ever. (flame on)
Hmmm. I'm sure many people would have different opinions. I absolutely think he is far better than most guitarists and love his work. There are some pretty good guitar players out there these days. Not the usual suspects like Vai or Satriani though. Take bands like Umphries McGee and Moe.

Umphries McGee: Guitarists Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger are, IMHO, the best guitarists I've ever seen/heard. I've seen Buckethead and no doubt, the guy is light years ahead of mostly everyone. But Bayliss and Cinninger are from another planet when it comes to the guitar.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

He's definitely one of the most underrated guitar players I've ever seen. By underrated I mean not well known. He can play literally ever style of music with exceptional skill. I'd almost go as far as saying he's the most talented player ever. (flame on)

Agreed (in part). Not the most underrated so much as the most overlooked. Its thinks its because the majority of his music the average person will stumble upon, will be more like his really weird experimental shred metal. So they don't realize he can do so much more too - and excel so much at it all. But even so its astonishing how little known he is...

While Im not sure he's the best player ever, I don't think it's such a crazy suggestion - He's a respectable candidate for that title so to speak. I've certainly not seen a guitarist who excels to the same degree to such a wide variety of music. Hendrix included.

I guess the only reason he's not the best ever in my book is because he has a sizable library of material that doesn't impress me too much or that doesn't stand out.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I guess the only reason he's not the best ever in my book is because he has a sizable library of material that doesn't impress me too much or that doesn't stand out.

Overlooked is the right word, you're right. As for his library of material, I didn't mean to imply he was the best composer out there, he probably isn't, although I love a lot of his compositions. I mean from a purely guitar musicianship and skill perspective.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Jeff, I agree with you. Don't think anyone that's heard his music would disagree. You made a good point!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

While Im not sure he's the best player ever, I don't think it's such a crazy suggestion - He's a respectable candidate for that title so to speak. I've certainly not seen a guitarist who excels to the same degree to such a wide variety of music. Hendrix included.

Agreed. Not many guys have played well in such a wide variety of music like you said. Buckethead can play anything.

I agree that his material isn't so impressive, as it seems quite repetitive to me. He's not a creative genius, so I just can't label him the best ever. As for talent, I'd have to say he's the best ever though.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

... I'd almost go as far as saying he's the most talented player ever. (flame on)
Hmmm. I'm sure many people would have different opinions. I absolutely think he is far better than most guitarists and love his work. There are some pretty good guitar players out there these days. Not the usual suspects like Vai or Satriani though. Take bands like Umphries McGee and Moe.

Umphries McGee: Guitarists Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger are, IMHO, the best guitarists I've ever seen/heard. I've seen Buckethead and no doubt, the guy is light years ahead of mostly everyone. But Bayliss and Cinninger are from another planet when it comes to the guitar.

Thank you so much for mentioning Umphrey's and MOE. Over the last few years I've been lucky enough to meet both bands, be on stage with moe. and actually sit down and eat with Jake, Brendan and Ryan from Umphrey's. There is no doubt in my mind that Jake Cinninger is THE single best guitarist right now. Of course, this is my opinion, BUT I've never seen someone who can move so fluently between styles.

If you have not heard these bands, look them up on youtube, I'm positive everyone will find something they like from both bands.

Blueline, PM me if you want a copy of a show that has a jam with Umphrey's with Chuck from moe. guesting (Chuck and Jake duel over La Grange). I have a very good copy of it floating around.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I had planned on seeing Umphrey's at Bonnaroo, but missed them for some reason. I really wish I would have caught them.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

They (Umphries) will be in New York City in October. I will be there. This band is freaky talented. Can't wait.

Oh and thanks for the offer DL. I appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2