Clear all

Burns guitars

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello everybody, I'm new here so not sure if this is the best forum for this subject, I assume it will be moved if not.

I am starting to collect some guitars and wondered if anyone had, or knew anything about Burns?

I had a Burns about 35 years ago, looked similar to a Fender Strat, very well made and excellent sound quality. The Burns I have seen in one of our local shops looks nothing like this, they have a "rolled" headstock and a largish body. I was told by one dealer that ALL Burns guitars are made in the far East and the highest price was about £600, but another shop has told me that there is also a range of UK made Burns at a cost of up to £1,600 and that the far Eastern ones are replicas, like Gibson/Epiphone.

I have seen on the Internet that there is a Brian May signature copy, but can find no info. on a UK one, can anyone comment on the quality of this make (wood/finish/pickups) and throw any further light on the UK/far Eastern models/sgnature copies?

Thanks,

Gary UK

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hi Gary, welcome.

Yeah, my understanding is that the Burns name is being used but all the guitars are made in the far east.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

No, not all Burn's guitars are made in the far East. The Club series are made in Korea. The Custom and Custom Elite are, as I understand it, made in the UK.
Although, it's totally irrelevant where they're made, the Burn's guitars are excellent value for money. As you can se from my avatar, I have a Marquee in greenburst

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks both, how, or could, you compare your Burns to, a Mexican Strat, or an Epiphone?

Gary UK

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You're talking about different sounds - the Burn's are very Strat-like.
In terms of quality, I'd put Burn's ahead of Epi and Fender's MIM offerings - they're also pretty heavy guitars and you get 7-way switching for nothing (includes "Tele" setting of neck & bridge and all pups).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

My father in law has a Burns Sonic from '64 perhaps?
This place has some Burns at decent prices
http://www.petercooks.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link to Petercooke's, can't believe the prices, £230 less for the Gibson LP Standard and £150 less for the ES335 than I've just paid!

Having just bought both the above from our local "Soundcontrol", who were cheaper than anybody on the net, I thought I had done well, and it sounds as though they know something about guitars as well!

Gary UK

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the link to Petercooke's, can't believe the prices, £230 less for the Gibson LP Standard and £150 less for the ES335 than I've just paid!

Having just bought both the above from our local "Soundcontrol", who were cheaper than anybody on the net, I thought I had done well, and it sounds as though they know something about guitars as well!

Gary UK
Yeh they seem very good and are helpful whenever you ring with a query, I was after a really cheap Lynyrd Skynyrd Les Paul but they'd sold out! But if you can afford those Gibson's we're at different ends of the scale price wise ;)

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I decided to have something nice before it's too late!

Gary UK

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Gary UK
Yeh they seem very good and are helpful whenever you ring with a query, I was after a really cheap Lynyrd Skynyrd Les Paul but they'd sold out! But if you can afford those Gibson's we're at different ends of the scale price wise ;)

Biker Jim - check out this site! You can create your own Skynyrd guitar.

http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/index2.html

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

In fact, why not take a look at this one??!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

The Epi Skynyrd is actually a Goldtop with Lynyrd Skynyrd on the neck
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/aireguitars/Items/31LPLS ?

However I do want a Les Paul decked out like the one in my avatar

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have an Asian-built Burns Steer. It's an unusual guitar -- don't know anyone else who has one. Got it for not much $$ because the music store couldn't move it. It plays well, sounds good and is unique. Some say it's ugly, but it's gotten many compliments.

It's the one on the left:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

gnease, I approve of your taste in guitars. Both of those are unique looking instruments.

What's the story about that circular bit between the pickups on that Burns?
Is it decorative, or is it one of those guitars with a built-in amp and speaker?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

or is that a soundhole?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?