Clear all

Buy the bass?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've been playing guitar for a tiny bit over a year now, and I was looking around in my local guitar shop for band want ads. I didn't see a single ad for a guitarist wanted. Most were bassist and percussion, with a few vocalists wanted.

I've been interested in bass for a while now and I really want to be in a band, so I'm really considering picking up bass guitar. I know I won't be able to get in one right away, but I wouldn't have been able to get in one right away by playing guitar, either.

Also, I don't really want to make my own band yet, I'd rather join a blossoming/established band before I try and form my own. I'm thinking forming your own band is a TON more work than just being in one.

The thing is, I need to save up a good amount of money because I am going to go to India soon (Jan/Feb) to get teaching liscensure for yoga. Also I figure while I'm there I'll want to do a little visiting of sacred sights and things, and do some shopping :)

So I won't be buying an amp right away for sure, I'll just be playing unplugged.

The bass I am thinking of getting:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519499/

Should I get the bass or just stick with the guitar until I can afford an amp, too? Will I need a nicer bass to sound decent in a band? How long will I need to practice to sound decent enough to be able to get into some local low-key bands as a bassist? Would you recommend a different bass to start out with? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention, I also won't be able to afford lessons right away (but that shouldn't be too big of a problem, I'm hoping)

(@briank)
Estimable Member

Well, I'm no pro (I've been playing about as long as you- about a year), but here's my words of wisdom-
Really, all you would need to do as a bassist is back up the chords of the rhythm, which is rather easy to do- just play the root note of the chord. That doesn't sound exciting, and you'll want to get past that type of playing, but that's pretty much the most basic thing you can do as a bass player.
And while you're in India, you should check out the local music- you may fall in love with the sitar 8)

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Bass is a very fun instrument becuase you always get to play, you aren't the focus of everthing (that's what I hate about the guitar), there is less pressure because not as many people are listening thus there is more room to expirement musically.

It's easy to get started on but there is still lots of room to learn.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I recently bought a bass and am having a ball with it. I wanted to be able to fill in on bass from time to time and be a bit more versatile in my band and when there are lots of other guitarists around. Learning its distinct characteristics and learning bass skills is fun. I picked up a small 15 w practice amp cheap as well. (Though if you play at very low volumes you can, I'm told, go through your guitar amp).
I think you ought to go for it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Coming to my apparment next week:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/519941/

Going to co-buy it with our vocaliste sincewe can't afford our own one, and as soon as we've saved some more we'll buy another one. Bit lame, but looking tremendously forward to it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ibanez makes good, affordable instruments. The only comment I have on your choice is that your choice has a Precision bass style pup arrangement -- that is, one split pup. That's okay, and has done many a pro player well, but a two-pup bass with a pup blend control will give you more tonal options.

As far as playing goes, realize that bass is a very different instrument than guitar -- I sometimes think is it actually more akin to a drum than a guitar. Rhythm is king. OTOH, if you really get into bass, there is a good chance you will develop a better knowledge of harmonic theory, as you will learn to pick your notes carefully to flavor the music. When you play fewer notes, every one counts for more.

Good luck -- Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

if you really get into bass, there is a good chance you will develop a better knowledge of harmonic theory, as you will learn to pick your notes carefully to flavor the music. When you play fewer notes, every one counts for more.

That's cool, I'm really interested in music theory. I bought a college theory textbook and I've been studying that and doing some composition. I might end up going to UNC (Greeley, CO) some day for music composition.

ReplyQuote