Skip to content
Buying a new guitar...

Notifications
Clear all

Buying a new guitar, which one do you like??

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So in the near future (maybe a month or so) I am thinking of buying an epiphone, specifically this one

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=3

and I kind of had my eye one this one

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=31&CollectionID=3

but I figured it would be too expensive, especially since I haven't been playing guitar for a year yet. But I was wondering what you guys opinions would be on those guitars and epiphones in general

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Personally, I am not a big fan of the flying V (had one for awhile) so I would lean towards the SG but everyones taste is a little different.

However, the real question is which one do YOU like?

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

The G-400's are superb guitars, almost my favourite Epi. Epi's are to Gibson like Squier is to Fender, and probably there's the same degree of variation from one instrument to another - so try a few, if you can, before buying, and choose the one that sounds and feels right to you.

Can't speak for the Flying V - I don't like them, they feel out of balance and wrong standing up, and all but impossible to play sitting down. :( But they do have a sound all of their own, and if you like that sound, and can live with the downright weird ergonomics, why not? I'd guess the Epi's a good, well made guitar too, just like the exemplary and very cool G-400.

(You can tell, maybe, that I used to play and love an SG, and often regret having sold it in a fit of being broke, many years ago!)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This is when reading reviews is helpful.

Flying V reviews

SG G-400 reviews

When reading reviews you have to look at the average. It is not a good idea to pay attention to the reviews that say "the best guitar ever" or "the worst guitar ever".

But you can pick up a lot from reviews. For instance, I read a few of the Flying V reviews and several said this guitar was a little neck heavy as PVTele mentioned. This would bother me personally. I used to play a borrowed bass that was neck heavy and I hated it. If you let go of the neck it would dive on you. Very uncomfortable to me. These reviews did not say this guitar was that bad, but it is something to take note of.

Anyway, lots to read.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

any particular reason you are limiting your choices to only those two, or epiphones?
imo they are two very different guitars for several reasons as already stated above.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

My personal preference would be the SG.Great guitar, good value for money and easy to play.My son learnt to play on an SG copy I have great for learning solos with the extra frets and looks cool too!
The Explorer is a great looking guitar but a bit of a handful to play especially if you've not been playing long.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The guitar that will make you play the most is the guitar you should buy, absolutely.

And it can't be said enough times: Absolutely do not buy any lower priced (<$500) without playing it. They vary so much from axe to axe, it's too much of a gamble.

I actually played an Epi SG last week that I really liked the look and feel of, but the guitar was so HEAVY it was a deal breaker. I mean really, this guitar far outweighed my LP, which is ridiculous.

If you can, play a couple of the Gibson SG's or V's before you buy, that way you'll know what's being imitated and how close you're getting. Not to say that every Gibson is a standout, but on average they're certainly in a different league.

Good luck.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

i think nils and others are right go with what you want. I don't have a Flying V so i can't comment on them but by epi explorer is also a little neck heavy. When playing solos (trying anyway) it's sometimes a problem,otherwise it's not bad.

Honestly i would stay away from a guitar that does that if it's going to be your only good axe.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

My son wants an SG when he outgrows his Fender mini. He says it's comfortable to hold and he likes the look (he's a big fan of Angus Young). He also prefer's the crunch of humbucker's over his single coils.

PVTele brought up a good point. I've never played a flying V sitting down, but I couldn't imagine that it's even possible. I'd imagine that it would sit on your lap right where the neck attaches to the body. You'd probably be forced to support it's entire weight when playing most of the time. This would be a deal breaker for me since 99.95% of my playing is in the sitting position.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

PVTele brought up a good point. I've never played a flying V sitting down, but I couldn't imagine that it's even possible. I'd imagine that it would sit on your lap right where the neck attaches to the body. You'd probably be forced to support it's entire weight when playing most of the time. This would be a deal breaker for me since 99.95% of my playing is in the sitting position.

I have seen it done by putting the crotch, as it were, of the V over your right thigh. The bottom point goes down between your legs, which you hold a little apart. The neck of course sticks up like Bill Wyman's old Framus bass. It feels as bad as it looks :lol: Keep it up and I imagine you'd walk funny for the rest of your life :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I had the loan ofa flying V for a week once, and it was absolutely awful to play sat down, and not particularly comfortable standing up either. I did only play it twice though, as it was one of two loans - the other being a real '59 Les Paul :shock: (I'm not worthy now, I certainly wasn't way back when this was...)

Anyhoo, definately try out a flying V for as long as possible before parting with cash for one - I get the feeling they're love 'em or hate 'em type guitars to play.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Spinal tap ruined flying v's for me with that suggestive end performance. I like how steinberger put that little flip out bar that keeps it from sliding off your lap while you play it. That said I like the epiphone sg more but it is up to you in the end.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I say go with the SG, because it's just way more comfortable then the Flying V. As everyone before me said, it really is a hassle to even start playing that thing, becase it'd be so hard just to get comfortable first, then to hold that position for a long time.

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member

forget 'em both and get a les paul.....

'nuf said.

ReplyQuote