Buying a new jazz guitar

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
I have decided I need to buy a hollow or semi-hollow body guitar (it's not an issue of want :)). Unfortunately, I am on a budget (< $400) so I am looking on the rather low end of the spectrum. I have heard good things about the Ibanez Artcore series so I plan to go to the store this weekend and try some out. Does anyone know of any others that are relatively inexpensive but still have great feel and sound for playing jazz? Thanks.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a jazz player. But I've got a friend who is, and he loves my Agile AS-820 semihollowbody. He raves about its wonderful neck. I love it, too, but I play slide blues on it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have a used Artcore AF85 and I love it. It's a beautiful guitar.

The electronics are a little iffy, but not any more than I'd expect at an under $400 price tag.

I also paid to have a very good setup done, and had the 9s on it replaced with Thomastik-Infeld 14s (playing jazz with 9s is like playing heavy metal with a Martin accoustic . . no matter how good the instrument, it just won't sound right!).

I've had it about a month now and I am exceedingly happy with it.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I went to the store and tried the Ibanez AF85- I really liked it, good feel, sound, and price. However, when I was there I also tried the Epiphone Dot, which I also found to be very nice, for about the same price. Now I have to make a decision between the two. I know the logical thing would be to get both :D , but unfortunately that is not an option. Does anyone have an opinion on the Dot?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Is that the double cutaway? The one I tried was and it rocked!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I bought a Washburn HB-35 - which is their take on the Epi Dot, which is Epi's take on the Gibson ES335.

The Washburn is a beautiful guitar and plays beautifully - you just have to like jumbo frets.

If the HB-35 is out of your reach, they have a cheaper HB-30 (or is it 32?), which just cuts down on the binding and other fancy trim, not on the quality.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

On Saturday I bought an Ibanez AS-83 (the picture does NOT do it justice) because I need the double-cut and the one I spotted in GC was just amazing looking, MUCH nicer work than the other dozen or so I've been GASsing over for the last few months. I'll try to post some pictures if I can put it down long enough to take them. Now I'm afraid my other two will start collecting dust...

ReplyQuote