Clear all

Buying an acoustic electric in the US

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@freerider)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to the US in about two months time, and I would like to use the oppertunity to buy a new acoustic electric guitar. Does anybody have any advice about some good guitars to look out for ? Any guitars that are a specially good deal to purchase in the US ? My budget is about 1000$ US, and I'm looking for an acoustic electric guitar preferably with cutway.

Thanks in advance :)

Espen

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You should be able to find a decent one easily in that price range. In fact, I wonder if there aren't some lower end Martins or Taylors in that range.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

I paid just a little bit more then that for a 000C-16 RGTE Martin through Elderly in April of 2004. Brand new model with the built in tuner and the Fishman Premium Blend (mic & Piezo pick ups). So yes you can get alot of guitar for what you are willing to spend... even one made in the USA with solid wood all the way around.

In fact, there's so many in that $750 - $1000 price range that you may want to start doing some research now as to size of guitar, the type of wood, the type of pick up, etc., etc. Ibanez, Alverez, Epiphone, Takamine, Ovation are a few brands that I think of off hand when thinking about an acoustic - electric in that price range.

A good acoustic - electric will sound great unplugged, and one with a good pick-up will sound "just like the guitar when unplugged, but louder." That's how I judge acoustic - electrics and their pick-ups. So don't be in too big of a hurry to plug one in, as it has to stand on it's own first.

Then you may find one you like and plug it in, only to discover that the pick-up in the thing is crap.

And by the way, the built in tuner is a really nice feature. Once you have a guitar with one you'll really appreciate it when you play one that does not.

And for the amount of money you are willing to spend, the shop should set the guitar up for you if it's not already, and throw in some new strings too.

Have fun - happy hunting!

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@freerider)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Looking forward to going guitar shopping :)

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

P.S. > Be sure to get a good quality hard shell case too. One with a cushioned lining... molded plastic (airline quality) is the best, followed by a high quality chip board with a tolex cover and cushioned lining.

Most of your guitars in the price range you are looking at will come with a hardshell. Sometimes for a few bucks extra you can upgrade to a better case.

Obviously you'll be traveling with this guitar, at least back home so protection of your new investment is very important. I sometimes even loosen the string tension when traveling if the tempature or altitude may effect it.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In case you hadn't already thought about it, make sure you know all the legal stuff about importing a guitar. Would suck to spend every last cent to get that awesome guitar, only to find you need to pay an addition 20% when you get back...

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

I would recommend taking a look at the Seagull S6+ CW GT QII. It's a Canadian made guitar, it's got a cutaway and an internal mic as well as an undersaddle pickup. For the price you really get a lot with this guitar. You can find them for around $550 US or so plus tax. They do come with a hard case, but I'm not sure I would trust that case with a baggage handler, they are made of a lighweight material and I think they may lack some strength. You might want to upgrade to a flight case.

I bought one of these about 2 months ago and I'm loving it...you can blend the pickups to get a variety of tones. Check it out.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/products6%2Bcwcedargt.htm

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

I don't know where you're from but you may be required to pay customs on the guitar when you bring it back home. I'm from Australia and bought an electric last year in america. When i came home i decided not to declare anything and walked through customs worried someone was going to bust me. Actually the guy at customs said to me "is that an electric?" and I almost shat myself and said "Yeah" to which he replied "Cool" - so I got away with that one!

I would say don't worry about customs but keep your reciepts in separate bag and if they question you tell them you took your guitar with you from home or something and it's over a year old....hopefully they'll ignore you. To be honest I think most customs are much more concerned with drugs, weapons and in australia's case disease in foods and stuff rather than musical instruments so you should be ok.

ReplyQuote
(@ratfish256)
Eminent Member

call it a gift from someone... at least in the us you can avoid customs in the us that way.

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I came back to the Philippines from the US and I had two guitars. Of course I was stopped by customs. I just said that I was playing in a band which hinted at the fact that I had owned them for some time. If you hint that you play then they will assume you took them out of the country and are just returning. I didn't actually lie to them.

Very envious of you going to the US and buying a new guitar... I was hoping to do the same (American Strat) later this year, but depends upon what happens with my job...

Good luck and I bet what you get will be great.

ReplyQuote