Clear all

Buying an acoustic guitar?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rdw64)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,not sure if this is the right place to post this question,but here it goes.I'm looking to buy an acoustic guitar.I've always played electric in the past,and I'm looking for something with similar action,and playability.Especially when playing barre chords.Got about $500.00 to spend.I've played some Ovations,but the bowl back is a little uncomforatable.Any suggestions?

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I've played some Ovations,but the bowl back is a little uncomforatable

There went my suggestion. Mine was a little akward at first but I dont notice it at all now.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@homchz)
Eminent Member

The alvarez Artist Series are usually pretty satnd up guitars for the price. I had a Bluesman Artist that played like and electric.
http://www.alvarezgtr.com/productpage.htm?CatID=38

And I have heard nothing but good things about Seagull, but have never played one.
http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm

You should be able to find models within your price range.

If you have any boutique shops (higher end hand built guitars) around then you can sometimes find an older used Larrivee 03 series for that price too. I got a 7 year old OM-03 for $495 about a year ago and it was great. Sold I when I stepped up to my new Santa Cruz though.

http://www.larrivee.com

Joshua Jones New Folk Singer Songwriter
Joshua Jones @ MySpace

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

$500 isn't really a budget for an Acoustic.
Although - you are "entering" the acoustic world :D

I started with an acoustic, and even though I am a newbie compared to you "masters" (i've been playing around 2 years) I am in love with Acoustic Guitars.

You will find it a little hard to start with, because Guitar strings are lighter than acoustics.
However, I would recomend a Taylor (if you can afford one). I own a Tyalor 412CE and Taylor 514-LTD (My main instrument... even though it's of MUCH lesser quality is the Yamaha APX-7A).
I haven't played the T5 - but that's definitely the way forward.

Taylor (even though they are a leading manufacturer) have always been recomended for Electric guitarists who want an acoustic sound and touch.

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm going to suggest a Seagull if you can find one. The S6 is a great guitar for the money. Alavrez make great guitars, as do Washburn. I don't think you can really go wrong with either of those names.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I would give the Epiphone Masterbuilt line a serious look. They are right in your price range and great guitars. All solid wood, no laminate anywhere. Great sound. These are not Gibson copies, it is Epiphone's own line.

I've got one more shop in town to look before I purchase one for myself. It will take something really special to sway me from it.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Thats a good one to Banre. I totally forgot about the Masterbuilts. They are very much worth checking out to.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I bought an Epiphone Masterbilt DR500M last month and I'm loving it. The action is real low and it sounds amazing! At $500 there are not many all wood (top, back, sides) guitars our there and I think this is one of the best. Look at Epiphone's web page, there is a bunch of info on the front page including links to some reviews. Here is a link to a post I made about the guitar a while back:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21900&highlight=masterbilt

I also looked at a Seagull but I found the neck to be a little big for my hands. I almost bought an Art & Lutherie but I ended up with the Epiphone. Read my post if you're interested.

Bottom line, play as many as you can and buy the one that sounds good to you and FEELS good. You want to spend your money on a guitar that begs you to play it! I first picked up the Masterbilt a few months ago and I knew right when I picked it up after the first chord that it was the guitar for me.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote