Clear all

Buying new guitar, need help

29 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Pamp,

I buy guitars all the time on eBay, I thnk if you are careful it is a great way to get used equipment. Are you in the US or Europe? I've shipped to Europe, but I don't have any experience buying in Europe. I'm not sure if the eBay experience is the same in Europe (you mentioned Prague in your previous post).

As usual, Wes has some excellent advice. The Epiphone G-series is a soild line of guitars in the Gibson SG model. But, you can also get a used Gibson American-made SG Faded on eBay for around $500. Also, for pure bang for the buck, I have a Behringer Blue Devil amp with 99 amp models built in and a 12" JBL speaker. I use it as my main home amp just because it is sooooo heavy. They are hard to find (made in 1998-2001 I believe) but can be had pretty cheap.

I'd hesitate to buy amps on eBay due to the shipping costs, you are better off (probably) buying one off the net from a store who ships free. I'd definitely look at a guitar on eBay. Plus, in many cases the guitar will come with extra stuff like a case, chord, picks, etc...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if you havent bought a guitar before I would definatly not start out on Ebay.
go to a guitar store first and talk live with a dealer.
they are usually players that gig and work at a guitar store to pay rent!.
they have lots of experience to share with you.
be frank or open with them telling them you want to know what to look for in a guitar.
they should be asking you what kind of music you wish to play, etc.

if indeed you are an ACDC fan and want that sound a single coil pickup on a Fender may not be what you want.
someone mentioned an SG. that'd be a good way to go.

but try out different guitar brands.
pay attention to how it feels while holding the guitar.
your hand around the neck must feel comfortable.

relax, dont feel dumb, ask questions, play alot, and if a store has a separte room go there with some axes to try.
nothing worse than sitting on the main floor with a bunch of kids shredding loudly ; ya cant hear what your're doing.
dont be pressured into buying, discern the hype, dont be afraid to walk away...in fact come back here and tell us what you learned.
then go back and buy.

and HAVE FUN. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

if you havent bought a guitar before I would definatly not start out on Ebay.
go to a guitar store first and talk live with a dealer.
they are usually players that gig and work at a guitar store to pay rent!.
they have lots of experience to share with you.
be frank or open with them telling them you want to know what to look for in a guitar.
they should be asking you what kind of music you wish to play, etc.

if indeed you are an ACDC fan and want that sound a single coil pickup on a Fender may not be what you want.
someone mentioned an SG. that'd be a good way to go.

but try out different guitar brands.
pay attention to how it feels while holding the guitar.
your hand around the neck must feel comfortable.

relax, dont feel dumb, ask questions, play alot, and if a store has a separte room go there with some axes to try.
nothing worse than sitting on the main floor with a bunch of kids shredding loudly ; ya cant hear what your're doing.
dont be pressured into buying, discern the hype, dont be afraid to walk away...in fact come back here and tell us what you learned.
then go back and buy.

and HAVE FUN. :D

I totally agree. This should be fun so make sure you have a lot of fun. I know a lot of us would love to be in your shoes. $1000 in our pocket and going to a guitar store. Don't be afraid to walk away. Also be ready to negotiate. You might not want to buy anything the first go round. Figure out what you like and what a good cost for it is, then go negotiate in the store. They might not be able to budge much on price if they are a brick and mortar, but they can sure give you services such as set-up etc. Have a lot of fun and we will live vicariously through you :-).

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, Pamparius, as far as E-bay goes... I think you really need to investigate any instrument or amp as much as possible before the purchase. I'd post links to what you're interested in and see what the experienced folk say.

You say you are going down to Prague to check out some guitars?! I hope you can find a good shoppe in Prague. Otherwise, Internet purchase may be a good option, even though you are a relative newbie.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Now I've written down all the great tips, and next week I'm gonna go to Prague to try out the things.
By the way: what do you guys think about buying guitars/amps over ebay?

If you buy off of ebay make sure the sure the seller is reputable, and beware of all fake guitars(mostly from china).

I like to be able to try out gear before i buy it , so thats why i mainly go to my local store for my big purchases.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Yeah that reminds me - always ask for a discount!! I was in a shop a few weeks ago looking at guitars and the list price of the one I was interested in was $4,000 (about $2,500 US I guess). I literally said "So....what's your best price on this one?", the guy walked off, then came back and said "$3,500, or $3,300 if you buy it today". I didn't pretend I had other guitars or shops in mind or anything.... just a straight up almost 20% off just for asking for their "best price". Sweet!

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member

I bought my amp on eBay, and was ripped off. The guy said everything worked (including the reverb). As it turns out, the reverb tank was not the correct one for the amp; it could never have worked. I replaced the tank with a new one, correct for the amp, and it works great. The seller, who claimed he tested it, flat out lied. I know others have had really good experiences.

In retrospect, I think it would have been better to just find one local and buy it.

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@uno-pulgar)
Trusted Member

If you truly don't know anything about guitars, I suggest reading a book on building a guitar. I picked one up at my local library and finally alot of what was once gibberish started making sense.

Avatar- Correy Harris 8/12/2006 Heritage Music Blues fest, Wheeling WVa

ReplyQuote
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

Just to put in my two sense i wouldn't go for a cheap Epi some of them are made from plywood, same goes for the bullet series squires. i don't know what you other people think but i'de feel uneasy spending a couple of hundred dollars on a plywood guitar.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So today I went to the store and bought a guitar. I tried a couple of stratocasters (didn't like them too much), a vintage, and some others+++, but I really fell in love with an epiphone sg 310. I know it's not the best guitar, but I really liked to play it (I was looking for the sg 400 actually, but found this) :P After trying all the guitars I discovered that a guitar like this will suit me perfect until my guitar playing level increases.

To go with it I bought the Fender® FM 25 DSP Frontman Combo Amp which has everything I want.

The total price for everything came at 685$ (not as cheap as on the internet, but...) and I'm really satisfied.

I would like to thank everyone for their tips and advices, I spent a long time searching the web looking at the guitars you recommended!

Thanks,
regards
Pamparius

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

here are the links to the stuff on musiciansfriend

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-25-DSP-Frontman-Combo-Amp?sku=481136

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G310-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518280

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Many congrats :D :D :D

The 310's a very nice guitar indeed - I actually really like the added zing you get from the bolt-on neck, but then I am mainly a Fender player :wink:

Frontmen are much underrated amps - I have an old 15G I use at home sometimes, and I'm always amazed at just how darned good it sounds. Well-built, too.

Nice solid kit - enjoy!

(And don't forget to change the strings pretty soon - the strings you get are usually not so good, and old to boot - go for a good make, d'Addario or Ernie Ball or something. Never worth trying to save pennies on strings!)

Have fun 8)

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Actually I have one package of ernie ball regular slinky and two packages of d'addaria (regular light and super light) here :)

Will change when I get the time, finals and moving are taking it's fair share of the little I have :D

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Sweet :D I have played the epi SG at a local music store, it sounds great and plays nice also 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2