buying some new pedals, which ones?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
I have finally decided to buy some(~4) pedals to increase my options as far as sound. I'm curious to know which ones you would consider essential. I like to play blues and jazz.

The ones I'm thinking about are a tuner, a Boss Blues Driver, a wah wah, and maybe an eq, compression, or chorus.

Do you think a multi-effects pedal such as the Pod or GT-6/8 would be a better investment. I know just going to the guitar store and trying a bunch out is the best solution, but I'd like to have some direction before I go down there.

Thanks for all your help!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i think you about covered it.
as far as multi effects go i think the concensus is that for home use most are ok but for gigging the preferance sways to individual boxes.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Top of the list: Equaliser
2nd place: Compressor
3rd place: Booster/Overdrive
Then: WahWah then chorus
If I were you I wouldn't buy a tuner pedal, except for gigging.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Right.. from what I've gleened so far, it all depends on the application.

For Gigging, I'd go with Seperate Pedals.

For Home, I'd price the pedals then compare to an MuliFX unit like the GNX3/4 or GT8 as I think you'll get the best bang for the buck with one of these.

If your looking at Pedals only I'd go with Greybeard's suggestion, an EQ will blow you away with what it could do to your tone.. quite remarkable really.

I think you have the right idea, go to the music store and see what they'll do for ya. It comes down to application, budget and your own taste in type and brand(s).

Let your ears judge for you, not some add in the magazine or the display at the store. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ranger)

Do you pedals are woth the money I have brought myslef a Korg effects unit that does the same things and with over 100 more + tuner.

Over time I felt that my investment was worthwhile mainly because when i did have a footpedal it broke the second time I used it on stage.

:)

Design me a Qpr guitar and i will pay you with more than just money!
Equipment = http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Korg/PR/AX100G.html http://www.rockinn.co.jp/shopping/guitar/epiphone/epi_dot_ch.html

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Maybe an Ibanez Tube Screamer?

ReplyQuote
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the helpful feedback, I now know what to look for when I go to the guitar store.

One more question, I have read that compression pedals greatly increase noise, and have even heard of some suggesting a noise gate. Is this a problem any of you have experienced, and has anyone used a noise gate? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Do you pedals are woth the money I have brought myslef a Korg effects unit that does the same things and with over 100 more + tuner.

Over time I felt that my investment was worthwhile mainly because when i did have a footpedal it broke the second time I used it on stage.

:)

What do you say about Korg AX 1500 G 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ranger)

Yeah mine is the ax100g 150 is bound to be better. More effects etc.. I use this instead of pedals cos a) its got all the effects you will every want and b) it is more cost efficient. Its great for gigs and stuff. easy to transport and easy to program before a song.

Design me a Qpr guitar and i will pay you with more than just money!
Equipment = http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Korg/PR/AX100G.html http://www.rockinn.co.jp/shopping/guitar/epiphone/epi_dot_ch.html

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

IMO Good analog pedals sound better then multi-fx units, plus you usually get way more control when using a regular pedal then you do with multifx unit. I used to use multifx stuff but I just really love trying to make my sound, as opposed to trying to get someone elses. If I were to get four pedals this is what I would get:

1) Overdrive/Distortion
2) Eq
3) Wah-Wah
4) Delay

I wouldn't get compression because I think dyanmics are an important part of being a good guitar player. Its just too easy when you use a compressor. So I feel compressor is something you can get later after you can mimic the effect of a compressor using your hands.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

you def need a good distortion...try the Boss DS-1...it's cheapish ($40) and i think it's great. i also use the Danelectro FAB Overdrive ($15, can't go wrong and it's not that bad!!!!) as well as a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz. Also, I would get a delay. I use my built-in amp delay, but a nice delay pedal adds mucho texture. Wahs are also a must-have, i think. i love my wah. and finally, my 4th choice would most likely end up being an EQ. i dont have one (yet) but they are quite good for shaping your tone...MXR makes a 10-band, but most i think are 6 or 7 bands.

that's my 2 cents

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote