Clear all

C minor

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Who invented that chord? He (or she) should be hung on the big rock candy mountain alongside the jerk who invented work.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Barre chord issue?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, what's wrong with it? Sounds kinda nice...

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

May we assume Bb minor and B minor are somewhat similarly annoying for you ? No offense intended... :wink:

If the barre is causing you aggravation, have you considered playing Cm, [and the others] as 4-note chords ?
Many players do.
Example: Cm being xx5543, using pinky & ring in 5th fret, middle in 4th fret, index in 3rd fret.

Or going up to the 8th fret and barring the top 3 strings with index finger, and nailing the 4th string with your ring finger in the 10th fret ?

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Cm: x3101x

I don't barre it, I don't really have trouble with barres. You can barre Cm in the first position, but I want that open G string.

Anyway -- I told someone of my hatred for the chord and they suggested some alternatives:

The first one in particular sounds fine as a replacement. I like strumming Cm near the bridge, it makes me feel mysterious. I'd go on record saying Cm is the most mysterious of all the chords.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Personally, Cm is my all time favourite chord (so far lat least!), was so happy when I finally got Am barre's down to play it well! :lol:

To someone who knows these things; Would I be right in thinking that 024030 is (almost) a Gmaj7? And could this actually be used as a substitute for Cm in cases?

Just looking to expand my chord dictionary... :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Would I be right in thinking that 024030 is (almost) a Gmaj7? And could this actually be used as a substitute for Cm in cases?

With G root, it's G maj 13th (with 9th and 11th omitted, which is common)
With E root, it's Eminor 9th (with nothing omitted)

I can't think of any context where it would make a good substitute for Cm

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How about in the context of me saying "it would make a good substitute for Cm."?

If it's not a good substitute, maybe you could list some good substitutes.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

How about in the context of me saying "it would make a good substitute for Cm."?

I didn't say it wasn't a good substitute, just that I don't know in which context it would make one. I can think of some obvious cases where it certainly wouldn't work, such as substituting for the key (i) chord in a song in C minor. I was hoping someone would supply a case where it does work.

I assumed you didn't know either as you asked the question in the first place. But if you've already found a context where it works then please share it.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I didn't say it wasn't a good substitute, just that I don't know in which context it would make one. I can think of some obvious cases where it certainly wouldn't work, such as substituting for the I chord in a song in C minor. I was hoping someone would supply a case where it does work.

I assumed you didn't know either as you asked the question in the first place. But if you've already found a context where it works then please share it.

It was intended as a joke. Playing on the idea of context within a sentence versus context within a song or chord progression. I should've thrown on some emoticon or something, but ah well. When you explain a joke it is no longer a joke.

But I am interested in hearing some alternatives to Cm -- I could play it with a barre chord in the first position, but to me that doesn't sound as good.

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Bah - Cm is old news. All the cool kids are playing C#m these days

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

One of the big things with the C-minor chord is that it is, well, minor. A chord is made minor by using the 3b, or Eb in this case. Both your replacements use an E, which is pretty odd for a Cm substitute. Why not try a simple 'almost' barre chord: [x x 5 5 4 3], no barre needed and it's a full proper Cm chord.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It was intended as a joke. Playing on the idea of context within a sentence versus context within a song or chord progression. I should've thrown on some emoticon or something, but ah well. When you explain a joke it is no longer a joke.

But I am interested in hearing some alternatives to Cm -- I could play it with a barre chord in the first position, but to me that doesn't sound as good.

I'm too sensitive these days, that's my trouble :lol:

When it comes to substituting, what works usually depends on the key and the function of a particular chord within that key. So in the key of Eb major for example, Ab major (chord IV) can substitute for C minor (chord vi) because they're usually (but not always) doing a similar job and have two notes in common Ab = Ab C Eb and Cm = C Eb G.
Another way is to keep the same triad and extend it with 7ths, 9ths etc.

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

play the triad somewhere else

like was said Cminor is just C-Eb-G

that fingering you are using is scaring me, just find an easier way to play it

ReplyQuote
 tree
(@tree)
Trusted Member

Alternatively trying to play a B# minor may make things a bit easier... and its a great substitution for C minor

(sorry... :lol: )

so many places that are hard to see
so many places that aren't
so many places we want to be
so many times we are not

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2