Notifications
Clear all

C to Cm

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rickard)
Topic starter  

I'm 63 years old and been playing for a few years now, not brilliant (arthritis doesn't help) but I can play a few tunes. I am learning nowhere man and the version I'm playing go's G,D,C,G,C, Cm, G it then does the same but with Bm this time. I have been trying for weeks to move from C to Cm or Bm smoothly and quickly, but with no luck so far! I've tried looking at my fingers when I move, not looking when I move and even sticking bits to the neck so I can feel when I slide my thumb down to the correct position, but all to no avail! Please someone tell me there is a trick or system to use, I can do it slowly about 40 bpm but csn't speed it up. Thanks for reading this - Rick

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey Rick,

How are you playing these chords? I don't know if barre chords are an option with arthritis but you could try it like this:

C [8 10 10 9 8 8]
Cm [8 10 10 8 8 8]

Basically you'd just be lifting your middle finger of the fret to go from C to Cm.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Arjen!
Welcome back!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Oh, and isn't this also a way of going from C to Cm?

C [3 3 5 5 5 3] ( A type barre chord)
Cm [3 3 5 5 4 3] ( A minor type barre chord)

and the Bm would be like the Cm but one fret down?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Cmaj = x32010

Cm = x3101x

Bm= xx4432 or xx0432 (Bm/D), or make a Dmaj either the regular way, or barre the 2nd fret 3 strings and plunk down your ring finger 3rd string 4th fret (and optionally pinky on 4th string 4th fret).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That x31010 seems really tough.

I think even the x32010 to x35543 would even be easier.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

xx1013 also works

ReplyQuote
(@rickard)
Topic starter  

Thank you all very much for your advice, I am spoilt for choice now! I am OK on barre chords till I get to fret 8 onwards then my fingers can't get close enough together but you've all given me plenty to choose from. Will let you know when I've done it, thanks once again -

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

till I get to fret 8 onwards then my fingers can't get close enough together

Me too. I'm good up until about 7, then it's "OK, let's play another voicing". :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

Try this one, its a full Cm triad

x x x 5 4 3

or this one

x 3 x 3 4 x

or

x x 5 5 4 3

Finally... this isn't a barre chord, but it is a pretty full sounding Cm

x 3 5 5 4 x

X are strings that you can feel free to not hit or even mute.

Good luck, and hope you keep enjoying all that you play!

Best,

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Rick,

I'm 64, so in much the same boat as you. I've also managed to learn how to play Nowhere Man with the chords you mention.

What worked for me was to use an almost identical shape for all three chords and just shift it 'en masse'.

C - 3 3 2 0 1 0

Bm - x x 4 4 3 2

Cm - x x 5 5 4 3

The important part - the cluster of middle, ring and pinky fingers remains exactly the same. The index (which you'll have the most control with anyway) just tucks over by one string.

I can do it other ways now, but that was the simplest. Hope it helps. Lovely song.

Chris

ReplyQuote