Notifications
Clear all

Cables

37 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

About the Monster debate, it sounds to me like peoples main beef is that they do some mis-leading advertising (what company doesn't?). The thing I don't understand is that people seem to be calling them high priced or over priced. I know nothing about cables! But I bought a 21 foot Monster instrument cable because it looked well made and was Reasonably priced $20US and had a good warranty. I'd had my fill of $5.99 cables that went bad in a month or two. I saw lots of cables that where much more expensive and didn't look any better made. They all seem to make claims that might be mis-leading or untrue. I can understand someone not liking a company that uses mis-leading advertising, but $20 for a 21 foot cable doesn't seem expensive to me. :?

$20 is not overpriced if the quality is reasonable, but IIRC, that is not Monster's premium cable, which costs significantly more.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I actually just got my cables in the mail today, a monster and george l patch cables.

a buddy let me borrow a monster, and the sound is so much clearer.... i was amazed. It was so much clearer in fact, that i completely bypassed my pedalboard (until my new cables came in).

so tonite at practice, it was George L patch cables, and 2 monster cables (to and from board). The tone is so much more amazing.

Now I am looking at tubes.... my search for tone has taken a huge leap.

My own opinion, cables make a HUGE difference. Then again I was going from cheap cables to nice ones, but still, even my drummer (whom doesnt pay detailed attention to the tone hahah), commented on how good it sounds compared to my previous rig with the other cables. Once i finish doing some stuff wiht my board, i Hope to post my rig!

Good to hear you got what you wanted. There are real differences among cables that are easily measurable by (not particularly sensitive) electronic instruments. Whether or not one will hear these differences and love/hate them, depends upon the particular rig -- guitar to speakers-- and personal taste, respectively. It's often difficult to tell without an A-B test -- even for moderate deltas -- our auditory memories just aren't that good. For your drummer to notice the difference without direct comparo, it must be truly huge.

Now you will find out about all the other components in your rig that have been sucking tone. FX pedals without true bypasses are often guilty of this.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

http://www.music123.com/Monster-Cable-Studio-Pro-1000-Instrument-Cable-i32652.music

$100 for 12 feet.

WOW! I've got to start me up a cable business! I think I'll call mine COOBIES and sell them for 300 dollars. Our slogan's gonna be "We're the SUSTENANCE in a Boobies and Doobies sandwich!" It's gonna be awesome!

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

I actually just got my cables in the mail today, a monster and george l patch cables.

a buddy let me borrow a monster, and the sound is so much clearer.... i was amazed. It was so much clearer in fact, that i completely bypassed my pedalboard (until my new cables came in).

so tonite at practice, it was George L patch cables, and 2 monster cables (to and from board). The tone is so much more amazing.

Now I am looking at tubes.... my search for tone has taken a huge leap.

My own opinion, cables make a HUGE difference. Then again I was going from cheap cables to nice ones, but still, even my drummer (whom doesnt pay detailed attention to the tone hahah), commented on how good it sounds compared to my previous rig with the other cables. Once i finish doing some stuff wiht my board, i Hope to post my rig!

Good to hear you got what you wanted. There are real differences among cables that are easily measurable by (not particularly sensitive) electronic instruments. Whether or not one will hear these differences and love/hate them, depends upon the particular rig -- guitar to speakers-- and personal taste, respectively. It's often difficult to tell without an A-B test -- even for moderate deltas -- our auditory memories just aren't that good. For your drummer to notice the difference without direct comparo, it must be truly huge.

Now you will find out about all the other components in your rig that have been sucking tone. FX pedals without true bypasses are often guilty of this.

in my experience, cables, of a certain quality (not the cheapest, i mean) doesnt really have any big difference at all(sound-wise), the only thing i can agree on, is long cables suck treble, but even that isnt noticable until the cable gets LOOOONG. the differences can be measured, sure, but heard? i doubt it, as the tone of your rig has so many other variables that this doesnt mean squat.

of course, some tone nazi's will be able to tell the difference, but after 2 hours of A/B testing, im sure the placebo
effect has something to do with that.
this is my opionion, and uou may disagree all you want, feel free;)

i look for solid connectors, and plugs you can yank all day, and not bring my rig to the shop to get the best sounding one.

i think their screwing us, by selling us the same cable in different boxes anyway;)

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

in my experience, cables, of a certain quality (not the cheapest, i mean) doesnt really have any big difference at all(sound-wise), the only thing i can agree on, is long cables suck treble, but even that isnt noticable until the cable gets LOOOONG. the differences can be measured, sure, but heard? i doubt it, as the tone of your rig has so many other variables that this doesnt mean squat.

of course, some tone nazi's will be able to tell the difference, but after 2 hours of A/B testing, im sure the placebo
effect has something to do with that.
this is my opionion, and uou may disagree all you want, feel free;)

i look for solid connectors, and plugs you can yank all day, and not bring my rig to the shop to get the best sounding one.

i think their screwing us, by selling us the same cable in different boxes anyway;)

Actually, A/B/X testing is better and will confuse the poser tone nazis. Weeds 'em pretty quickly. I won't go into the electronics, but a short, well shielded cable of certain high quality materials can have the same electrical (mainly shunt capacitive) characteristics as a long, tone sucking cable. And not all cheap cables sound bad, because shielding helps noise, but works against tone. So cheapo lack of shielding can actually help high end. This whole thing is not a one dimensional issue.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member

well for me, its hard to explain, but there definatly is a difference.

more harmonics, less fuzz i guess, its just tighter...i just cant describe it.

BUT, do keep in mind, i went from CHEAP cables, (think 12 dollers for 6 patch cables lol) to the cables, so I cant be a judge of "decent" cables to these cables, if that makes any sense

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3