Clear all

Campfire Songs - Try Again

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Someone started a thread last weekend. I cannot remember who, but it was getting opinions on good campfire songs. I think it got toasted during the server switches (or whatever) last weekend. If no-one knows where it is or who started it, I'll go for it.

List your favorite Campfire Songs. (Songs to do by the campfire)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You could make up a song, maybe a rap. Those sing alongs that get everyone to clap. Just don't get into a bad rhyming trap. Otherwise, you'll sound like crap.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The trouble I have with a list like this is the type of campfire. I have to say this ever-so-delicately as my generation made many mistakes that caused much awareness for future generations. Underage people view the site, after all.

So, is this a 9:15 at night church or civiv group campfire, or one of those 1:30 AM campfires where everyone is slowly coming down. Entirely different moods.....I think. Never been to the first type. :)

OK, for type a 2 campfire, I submit my first three songs.

Lucky Man, done slowly. ELP
Love In Vain, done slowly. Rolling Stones
The End. The Doors

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Desperado-Eagles
Rocky Mountain Way-Joe Walsh
The Weight-The Band
Dust in the Wind-Kansas

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Desperado-Eagles
Rocky Mountain Way-Joe Walsh
The Weight-The Band
Dust in the Wind-Kansas

Rocky Mountain Way is an interesting selection. Three laid back tunes and then that song. Interesting.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Of course, you'll want to tune to Open D or E and get out your slide for that one.

You'd be amazed what hard rocking sounds you can get out of a resonator guitar, a slide, and a set of thick nickel silver finger and thumb picks. Bang the tar out of it and you get acoustic distortion, much like an overdriven amp. Not to mention volume that you'll have a hard time singing to be heard over.
8)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I would think just about any Buffett song would work. My camping trips usually involve rather large amounts of alcohol, so songs like "Let's Get Drunk ..." instantly jump into my mind. "Comfortably Numb" does as well.

I've been listening to a lot of Jack Johnson and similar type music lately and some of those songs would work well around a campfire for a slightly more upbeat tune.

I could see it now, playing "Let's Get Drunk" then going into "Good People" (which says "Where'd all the good people go?" :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not quite campfire songs, but when we've had a BBQ there's always a guitar passed around....the #1 rule is, play something everybody knows....

Last time, we just played a load of old 60's classics - Do-wah-diddy-diddy, pretty Flamingo, Proud Mary, A few beatles songs....and for some strange reason, "Mull of Kintyre" always goes down well.....

Just play anything that you think at least two people will know the words to, and you're half-way there....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

campfire next to a loch in scottish highlands. bobby magee [kristoferson] heart of gold [neil young] cover of a rolling stone [Dr hook] The rest seems to be a blur I think alcohol was involved.

ReplyQuote