22 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

We're talking about a guitar.

What were you thinking?
I'm thinking I was set-up. :?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Like a fine guitar.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

There ya go.
We're back on topic.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There ya go.
We're back on topic.

We were never off topic. :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ken hasn't been around long enough to know about my shameless propensity to pull out my Johnson and play with it in public, or how I used to ride around town on my Harley with it slung over my shoulder. Here's the evidence, got it out right in front of Jimi and everybody:

(I've just been asked to do that at a wedding party in about a week and a half, believe it or not!) :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Ric, is that a room in your house or a music shop?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's the now-departed and much missed J.J.'s House of Music.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I will not be lured into this conversation. . . .
or be enticed to deviate from said topic.

I'm more comfortable asking the questions (not answering).
Besides, I live in Miami and just started "guitaring",
what would I know about "freezing guitars"!?

So, I'm going to shut up and move on to the next topic.
Toodles! :mrgreen:

(besides, if you're not from "the South", you probably can't appreciate Richochet's innuendos)
Warning: Don't go there! I already did and he got me. :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Got to 54 here this afternoon, but it was freezing this morning.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeygesus)

Ken hasn't been around long enough to know about my shameless propensity to pull out my Johnson and play with it in public, or how I used to ride around town on my Harley with it slung over my shoulder. Here's the evidence, got it out right in front of Jimi and everybody:

(I've just been asked to do that at a wedding party in about a week and a half, believe it or not!) :shock:
Hahaha.... not touching that with a 10-foot pole.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut.... jokes aside, here in Wisconsin it is REALLY freakin' cold. And, well... I left a Les Paul knockoff with nice enhanced pickups out in my car overnight about a week ago, and now it doesn't work. I know some of the wiring was getting old, but... crap. :( I plug it in and just get feedback, nothing from the pickups at all.

My answer: YES. A guitar, given the right circumstances, can indeed freeze to death... :(

-MG

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thank you, Mikey.
And I thought it was just that South that would understand the innuendos.
Way to go big W!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

While cold can kill a guitar, if you deal with it properly guitars can survive just fine.
Touring acts up here in Canada deal with this all the time.

1) loosen the strings (a couple of steps is good enough)
2) use a case that is fairly well sealed (doesn't have to be hermetically sealed, just no holes or gaps)
3) allow the guitar to come up to room temperature at it's own pace, *before* opening the case.

This usually entails taking the guitar cases out of the truck/trailer/belly of the bus before starting to set up the PA, lights and other stuff, and just setting the closed cases aside somewhere in the venue (dressing room, backstage, hotel room...) After 3-4 hours, the guitars should have come close to room temperature, and it'll be safe to open the cases.
The biggest killers are condensation and rapid temperature changes causing rapid flexing.

That said, the different materials (wood, metal, plastic, bone...) will expand and contract by different amounts when frozen/thawed. Typically electrics survive better than acoustics.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Thank you, Mikey.
And I thought it was just that South that would understand the innuendos.
Way to go big W!
you dont have to be from the South to get it :wink: It help though

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Should that be "Innuendi?"

And isn't "Innuendo" one of those directions they write on the top of a music staff?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3