Skip to content
Can I get a blues s...

Notifications
Clear all

Can I get a blues sound out of a deluxe Nashville Tele?

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thinking about buying one with Tex-mex pickups.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

You can get a blues sound out of any guitar. Some are more geared toward some playing styles than others, but generally a guitar will play what you want it to; after all, playing the blues or country or rock are styles, not sounds. Differences in tone are abound, though, so you'll have to be more specific in the kind of tone you are looking for. A Tele will give you more twang than a strat, for example. Overall, Teles and strats are in general a good choice for blues, but so are LPs, Carvins, etc.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

man as far as im concerned if i wanted to play blues only, a tele would be my guitar of choice.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Make a list of the top 25 blues guitarists and you're bound to find:

Hendrix played Red House on strats and SGs. BB king didn't hate LPs. Albert King played his Flying V. As long as you have strings strung over something and it makes enough sound to be heare you're good to go.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

As long as you have strings strung over something and it makes enough sound to be heare you're good to go.

AhhMAN Brotha. 8)

err Ditto in geek land :D

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Blues? Tele? Muddy Waters Tele

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Jimmy Page played some of his early stuff in The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin with a tele. Any guitar will do. Just play them blues likes you feel 'em. Also Hendrix played a Gibby Flying V. You can do blues with single coils, P-90's, or Humbuckers, or any combo, thereof. Like I said, blues and blues-based rock is all about a feel and attitude. FEEL IT! on what ever guitar and amp and whatever other stuff you got.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Blues is not a gear-based genre. It's all about what you do with what you've got.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Yep. Blues is not a gear-based genre. It's all about what you do with what you've got.

Amen.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Albert Collins used a Tele. You know...the guy in your avatar....playing a Tele.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member

Albert Collins used a Tele. You know...the guy in your avatar....playing a Tele.
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

That made my day.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

To be fair, it looks like Collins is playing the '72 thinline tele, which has humbuckers, not the traditional telecaster setup.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Muddy Waters did OK with a traditional Tele.

Fender's even put out a "Signature" model:
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0138500309

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote