Clear all

Can someone help me with this? - Pentatonic patterns

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am so confused. This sounds VERY useful, but he confuses me with those numberings of page 4. What is he trying to say? Most of those patterns I am probably playing anyway. I just want some theory behind what I am doing, but I am confused! Did I mention I am confused? I am still drunk from last night. Maybe that's it.

He saying something about 5 two-string patterns... What are those numbers 2 3 4 5 1? :shock:
http://www.musiccentre.co.uk/acatalog/eBooks/free-guitar-chords/Pentatonic-Guitar-Magic.pdf

Thanks

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The numbers are the notes in the scale. Since these are pentatonic scales it means they are made up of 5 notes, hence the numbering 1-5. You start the first pattern on the root, the next on the second note of the scale etc. until you get back to 1 and start all over. If you use the pentatonic in A then your first root would be the at the 5th fret of the 6th string. Pattern 2 would start on the second note of the scale which would be on the 8th fret of the sixth string.

Hope I didn't confuse you or get it wrong. I'm sure someone that REALLY knows what they are taking about will chime in, I'm not really a guitar teacher I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your reply. So in his example the 1 2 3 4 5 are the notes but the 1 is not the root note?

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Actually it looks like he's using 1-5 to refer to the five different pentatonic "shapes" on the fretboard.

I found the whole ebook incredibly confusing, though. There's probably a better way to learn that stuff...

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I know exactly what he is talking about but it might be hard to explain in a short paragraph. If he had drawn each shape in a different colour instead of one blend of grey then it would have been clearer.

Take a pentatonic scale pattern, let's say the standard box and break it down into two string segments, 6-5, 5-4, 4-3, 3-2 and 2-1.

Draw a bounding box around each of those two string sections and you'll get the 5 small shapes that he has drawn on the previous page. Underneath you see he has drawn another set of five patterns, these refer to how the shapes change when each of those first five patterns cross the tuning offset at the g-b strings.

Hope that makes some sense.

Edit: The first five shapes he has drawn on page three refer to pentatonic position 3, not the standard box as I said.

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member

On page 2, what's shown from the left-most diagram to right, is patterns 4, 5, 1, 2, 3 with the roots labeled as 'R' in each diagram. I'm just learning this stuff myself - but the way it's presented is confusing to me too.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

There are some diagrams that made more sense to me here:

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-pentatonic/index.php

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I second the diagrams mmoncur posted, they worked for me.

ReplyQuote
 zofo
(@zofo)

People,Are telling, you the wroungh thing,Pick a Key on your e string, Thats going to be one! Play one four on your e string,Than play one three on your a string, than play ,one three on your d string,than play one three on your g string,than play one four on your b string, than play one four on your high e string,You just played,A scale,Good Luck,Zofo!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Nobody's telling him the wrong thing.

What you describe is ONE way to play the pentatonic scale. That's fine if you're happy staying in ONE position on the neck, playing solos within roughly half of a guitar's range, and avoiding techniques like long slides.

But if you want to move beyond the absolute basics, you need to know more than one position.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 zofo
(@zofo)

NoteBoat,He,s not asking for theory!He,s asking ,how do you apply ,My fingers to this Book? Learn to teach ,At different Level,s

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Zofo, I've been teaching at all levels for nearly 30 years. The first thing you have to do is understand the question.

Did you look at the file linked? If you did, why are you answering a question that wasn't asked?

He wants to know about page 4 - which is a pretty confusing illustration of how the patterns link together. He said up front "Most of those patterns I am probably playing anyway".

Curious that you're criticizing how I teach from this... I didn't teach at all. The question was already answered.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 zofo
(@zofo)

Sorry my fault,I thought I mite be helping this man,Didn,t mean to attack! I could use some Help with my pentatonic patterns, http://www.youtube.com/zofou812

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What mmoncur posted is MUCH BETTER! Thanks. And to Lee, that does make more sense, it helps! I am already playing all these scales, just trying to burn them into memory in some way. Oh yeah, and I am a GIRL, well a grown woman. :D

Thanks for confirming what I posted IS confusing. Sometimes you think it is you and never the author, they always know what they are doing. :P

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sometimes you think it is you and never the author, they always know what they are doing. :P

Not the authors I know! At least not all of them (myself included!)... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote