Skip to content
Can't you smell tha...

Notifications
Clear all

Can't you smell that smell? The smell of G.A.S. around you!

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, that was terrible, and I apologize profusely.

Today brings another guitar to the Pilot household. I've actually had my eye on this for quite some time now, and got the go-ahead from Mrs. Pilot today to finally pick it up without fear of reprisal. :lol:

I present a facsimile image, since this techno-weenie doesn't have batteries to put in his camera right now:

It's an Ibanez AEF-30E-TVS, which as you can see is an extremely....purple guitar. TVS stands for "Transparent Violet Sunburst." I've been in the market for a nice thin-bodied acoustic/electric for a while, since my full dreadaught is difficult to handle when sitting outside in my patio chairs. So, it was either get new chairs or a new guitar. Well, duh!!! :lol:

I'm glad I finally took the plunge. I brought it home this afternoon and have been playing it for nearly two full hours, comfortably settled outside in the chair where it was destined to be. It has a nice bright tone with good bass, the action is just dreamy, and a bit to my surprise, the intonation is spot-on according to my digital tuner.

The electronics are quite nice. It sounds very full and smooth through the 25-watt Fender Frontman I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It has bass/mid/treble tone controls, a switch to reverse the phase of the pickup, a knob marked "Shape" that I haven't quite deciphered yet, and both 1/4 inch and XLR outputs. The built-in tuner is rather handy as well since my ear isn't nearly trained enough to tune without help, and I don't always have the digital tuner in my pocket.

All in all, I'm very satisifed with my new friend. Retail and the Musiciansfriend.com price is $449, but my buddy at Guitar Center knocked off 50 bucks since they didn't have one in a box for me to take. No worries here...I rather prefer taking home the exact one I played and liked anyway. :)

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

beautiful guitar, it looks like youve got a great steal for that price.

I really like the purple burst paint job, and it's got nice inlays.
I hope you enjoy, it will surely bring good times ahead of you.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Very nice!!!

I was looking at something similar a couple of months ago - Pet, amongst others, is a big fan of Ibanez....but in the end I plumped for a Yamaha, around the same price, not much to choose between them unamplified... though the Ibanez seemed to have a slightly fatter sound...but through an amp, the Yamaha just edged it for me....

But it surely does look a beauty, I hope you have as much fun with it as I've had with the Yamaha....enjoy!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the kinds words, fellas!

Vic, you didn't happen to get the FGX-04 acoustic/electric, did you? My full dread is the regular FG-04, and it's a fantastic instrument. I think I posted a rave review of it, much like now, right after I bought it. It's also the one that I drilled the hole in for my homemade pickup, not knowing that such a thing as a strap pin jack existed. :D I actually played the FGX for a few minutes today, and had I not been looking for a smaller guitar, it probably would have come home with me. If yours is that model or something a bit higer-end, you've definitely got a sweet, sweet guitar in your hands!

I have a jam session lined up for tomorrow night with a couple of the neighbors, I will report the results after the hangover wears off sometime on Saturday. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool! Gotta love that color! Great job on titling the thread, BTW. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

man that color looks perfect on that guitar. what a nice axe! enjoy it!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I bet it sounds sweeeeeeet :D cool color 8) 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Very Nice! I hope it playes as sweet as it looks.

John M

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That guitar is SO nice looking. I love the purple. Looks like you got a great one.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

nice :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Pilot,

Something does smell in here...was that you?

That guitar does look sweet though, have fun!!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member

Pilot, very nice guitar. Congrats.

I've got the FGX-04 and couldn't agree more. Every now and then I get together with two cousins of mine who have Taylor 314's and they are always struck by how nice the Yamaha sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

New toys are kool. 8)

New toys bring motivation back up front where it belongs! :wink:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's a downright wicked guitar! Truly awesome finish! :shock: 8)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote