Clear all

caposlide? new concept

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@hydeparkhaz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i am currently designing a caposlide. this as it sounds is a combination of the capo and the slide.
i would like to hear your opinions on this and also what your preffered slides and capos are and why so i can attempt to take the best features of each. i have several ideas already but i am not the most accomplished slide player so my ideas on what makes a slide and capo good may be different so i am interested to hear opther peoples opinions are.
cheers
harry

(@rahul)
Famed Member

What is this 'caposlide' supposed to do ?

ReplyQuote
(@hydeparkhaz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

simply to combine both products into one item. i guess its more aimed at beginners or players on a budget as it is essentially going to be a money saving item, and hopefully people will like it because it will be more practical than buying two products. i will post some pictures of my designs to help give a better understanding.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm missing something here, if it pushes down hard enough on the strings to capo them, then they are fretted notes. To me what makes slide, slide is the fluidity of the thing.

have you seen the quick draw capo?

http://www.quickdrawcapo.com/

or the glider capo?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Glider-GL1-Glider-Capo?sku=361650

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I had sort of the same idea but for a different reason. A device where you just push down on all the strings and form a chord in Open "G". Where do you think I got this stupid username? Capo-sLIDE - clideguitar?

The only good thing about the username is NOBODY (well, someone on AIM has it) uses it.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm definitely baffled. A slide IS a capo functionally (a movable one), and slides and capos have been grouped together on vendor's pages for ages. But I'm interested in any new slide ideas.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hydeparkhaz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

what i mmean is to have a capo with the slide somehow attached ontop so u can take the capo off and turn it upside down and use it. or alternativly to have a clip on the capo that the slide can be attached to and removed when needed.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmm. I'd have to see it. Probably have to try it. I'm having a hard time imagining how that'd work. If it works as one thing at a time, a slide or a capo, I'm not sure I see the utility of it. What if I'm tuned to Open D for sliding, decide I need to play a tune in Open E but don't want to retune, so I capo up two frets for E? Then I've used the thing for a capo. What am I going to slide with?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hydeparkhaz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This is the main problem i am having. i have been working on a way where the slide can connect and disconect very easily so both can be used.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So, if you're Capo'd into open G (for example) and you take off the slide part to you, then your tuning goes wrong because it's only the Capo holding the open chord on what is otherwise a standard tuned guitar so your slide will be producing the usual notes at the usual frets.

Or did I miss something?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@hydeparkhaz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i cant have explained this well enough i will try and put diagrammes up.
basically the two items will work on there own as normal but the slide will be connected to the capo. the slide will then be able to be removed from the capo while the capo is still on the guitar.
basically it will just make it easier to put your slide somewhere and then pick it up and start playing when using a capo.
e.g your in d and u want e so for ease of speed u use the capo on 2nd. then when u start using the slide its on the capo so you just pick it up and start playing as it will come off the capo while the capo is still on the guitar.
hopefully that makes it clearer

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

simply to combine both products into one item. i guess its more aimed at beginners or players on a budget as it is essentially going to be a money saving item, and hopefully people will like it because it will be more practical than buying two products. i will post some pictures of my designs to help give a better understanding.

I'm not sure I see the market you do - neither capos nor slides are very expensive. Guitar Center's capos start at around $4, and slides at about $6... ten bucks isn't a bank-breaker for most people. (If it is a bank-breaker, they're already using a rubber band and chopsticks for a capo, and a spark plug socket for a slide!)

But maybe I'm wrong, and you could corner the market with one at, say $7. You can't sell it direct to consumers; $7 plus shipping is more than the alternatives. Music stores wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, because they have to make money - and you'd still have freight and packaging. Distributors might buy in bulk, but they wouldn't pay more than about $3 (and they'll want 60-90 days open credit). You'd need to make some money too... so can you make one for less than a buck?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@hydeparkhaz)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I havent really looked at prices in the usa. im in england you see and everything is a bit more expensive out here if its half decent. im fairly confident i can produce these at a low cost though. im in more of the research stage at the moment though. From the research i have made it seems that the younger kids would be more interested in buying the product.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Not sure I see a need for such a thing. You'd also want the salespeople to be your biggest advocate. If they see a need/like using the product, they will refer it to people. But if they don't....

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If I understand correctly, you are proposing that the capo does double-duty as a slide holder?
Perhaps using a mechanical clip or magnetism or something?

Is your premise that there is often a need to drop and re-acquire a slide quickly (and repeatedly) during a song?

My gut feeling is that to sell, your invention would have to be more convenient to use as something like this. As well, as being a similar price increment above the cost of a normal capo.

I am not trying to shoot your idea full of holes, but rather to help you think it thru a bit further.
Who knows, this could make you your first million if it is well done and fully thought thru.
Or not.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2