Notifications
Clear all

Ceiling Fan Interference

18 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

And the bigger the surface area of the blades on the fan, the more pronounced the effect will be. Especially in a small carpeted room with tapestries or other sound damper on the walls. But really there are so many variables involved that you can't really predict how it's gonna sound unless you play in that room alot.

I couldn't even guess how many times I screamed "I AM IRON MAN" into a box fan when I was a kid.

*starts rummaging around in the garage looking for a fan*

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

You guys were correct. It was an acoustic effect rather than an electrical effect.

It is a rather small room and I was playing directly under the fan. Double humbuck guitar so there was no problem with single coil as mentioned.

Thanks for all your responses.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Mike you are not alone. I get the same effect under my fan. Mine is also humbucker and should cancel the sound. Yes it does vary with speed so I get free tremblo. Sucks when you are trying to tune the guitar with the harmonics. I have to remember to turn the fan off :P I am directly under the fan so I do get this effect well. When I am just praticing I ignore the fan, for accuracy I turn the fan off. Play the selection and then turn on the fan. Drapes, carpet, cloth absorb the sound where tile floors and flat walls will make the sound bounce and add to this effect.

John M

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2