Clear all

Changing Focus

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have decided that for the time being instead of focusing all my energy on finding a new guitar and/or amp, I will try to become a better guitar player. That way, when the time does come to pick something out, I will be able to test it with something other than the few riffs and three0-chord songs that I can play.

When I took my CP 60s Strat back to GC for a refund, I tried another HSS Highway One Strat and an American Deluxe V-Neck Strat. Both were very nice and obviously one was more affordable than the other was. However, I didn't plug either one in so I have no idea how they compared sound wise. I'm sure that I may know the answer, but I will let my ears decide when it's time.

Anyway, thanks for your patience (I know that my wife has had enough).

Jim

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have decided that for the time being instead of focusing all my energy on finding a new guitar and/or amp, I will try to become a better guitar player.
Excellent plan! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I am in the same boat... a few months ago, I started looking at semi-hollows with P-90s. But, then I realized that my existing guitars weren't even getting played enough.

So, I gave away my galaxy-10 amp and my squire 51 (both of which I had even worked on some ) to the music room in my daughters school. The store where I used to take lessons went out of business, and they had a going out of business sale, but I didn't buy anything even in that sale. If they sold better chops, maybe :-)

I think it's good to have decent gear, but playing the stuff you have really well is the best!

Have fun!
(I think I saw a quote somewhere:
Q: What's the best blues amp?
A: The one you have!)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'm so new to guitaring I wouldn't know a good guitar if you El Kobonged me with one.
I'll just muddle along with my starter strat and maybe build an "acquired taste" for guitars.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

And then there's the amp. It never ends. I like your plan and should have done the same. Oh well. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

When they have that fire sale on better chops, I want to be in line! :D

Unfortunately, you can't buy that. Takes work.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Money can't buy me Love :D

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member

Hi KC,

I was kind of in the same boat but with amps. I also have a Squire starter kit and started thinking about how much better it would sound with a better amp. I started looking at Roland 30W Cubes for under $500, then entry level tube amps worth a bit more, then VOX AC15 $900, Fender Blues Junior nearly $1000 and finally was seriously considering buying a VOX AC30 $1350.
All this took about 3 weeks of thinking about amps, reading reviews on the net and going to shops and trying them out. On the way home from the last shop I went to I nearly turned the car around to buy the AC30 but stopped to think. A couple of minutes of rational thought I came up with:

1) I live in a congested area so can't play that loud.
2) I'm a beginner so I don't play loud anyway, if it doesn't sound that good to me yet, what will the neighbours think!
3) I'm not playing gigs so a practice amp will do fine for a while longer.
4) $1350 = 54 lessons.

I knew all this but had not thought about it once I started to actively look at amps, they just kept getting bigger and more expensive at every shop I went to.
At the stage I'm at with guitar at the moment the best place to spend that kind of money is a years worth of lessons.

Wow, that was a very long winded way of saying I think you made the right decision :)

Regards,

Marty

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the support everyone. I am going to have to go out and buy pants with asbestos pockets. This money is seriously trying to burn a hole in my pocket, but I am trying to stay strong.

Raistix (Marty), don't you hate rational thoughts? I know I do! If I can't get a rational thought going, my wife is always happy to get one going for me. :oops: Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I took lessons for a while and it really does help. My problem was finding the time to practice what I learned so that I could show some improvement by the next lesson time.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

in case you missed it in the other thread.
have you played an american deluxe? if not and you would like to crank one through a 67 blackface bassman send me a pm.
i bet we live less than 40 minutes from each other (i'm in excelsior springs)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@elderberry)
Eminent Member

Unfortunately, you can't buy that. Takes work.

Aaarrrgghh... That's NOT what I wanted to hear! :x

So it goes. I wonder what I'll do with all the cash I'd saved up for that particular sale...

King Harvest has surely come.

ReplyQuote