Clear all

changing strings before audition

17 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

REmind me again is it not a good idea to put new strings on before an event audition where I want to sound at my best????

The strings go out of tune , right? How long until the strings get settled and stay in tune?
My audition is tomorrow noon.

Hope I get a response before then. Thanks.

Sapho

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

For me, it usually takes a day or two for new strings to settle in. I wouldn't do it if it's a few hours till your audition, unless the strings you have are really shot.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Just stretch em out by pulling them about 1 inch above the neck - they'll be fine!!!

SO WILL YOU - good luck dude!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I hate new strings because they feel slippery, I never feel like I play as well on them as I do strings that have a couple hours on them.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think they settle in faster on an acoustic than on an electric. I change my electric strings about a week before a gig (anywhere from 3-7 days beforehand actually) and the acoustic a day or two ahead of time if not a week a before.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

New strings on my electrics are fine the day after I put them on - if I give them a good workout the night before. Not the Guy's point about stretching them a bit helps too, I do that right after I tune to pitch. I don't ussually use my acoustic for gigs, but I don't have any problems staying in tune after I play with it for an hour or two.

For me, the practice session, the night before a gig, stretches the strings out nicely, so they keep tune the next day.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

New strings on my electrics are fine the day after I put them on - if I give them a good workout the night before. Not the Guy's point about stretching them a bit helps too, I do that right after I tune to pitch. I don't ussually use my acoustic for gigs, but I don't have any problems staying in tune after I play with it for an hour or two.

For me, the practice session, the night before a gig, stretches the strings out nicely, so they keep tune the next day.

pretty much the same for me. hope the audition goes well for you sapho!

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Good luck dude!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Here's a link to one of my favorite articles on GN: https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/stringing-and-cleaning-your-guitar/

It explains a method for stringing your guitar that will help to keep it from going out of tune like crazy for the first week or so. Of course, you can never totally get around it, but if your strings are really super bad and need a changing, then you might give this a read. Best of luck on the audition!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you so much for the input. It helped soothe my nerves for the audition as well.

I'm content with what I did although it wasn't perfection and I missed full notes in my last song - a very simple song which I know inside out - chords so simple no one could miss them.
I was distracted by the time - I lost sense of time - I was into my fourth song and thought I had only time for three songs so I thought I was over my time and it made me miss a few notes in a super simple song.
Now I have to live with what I did. Aaaaaaaaah!!!!

I did 'practice sessions' the night and morning before the audition so I think I was in tune but still had to keep tightening the A - 5th string just to be sure.
At one part of the first song it felt like I was out of tune but then it seemed to be OK.

Glad to have GN for support through these awful high pressure moments.
a million thanks,
sapho

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Its ok sapho.

Atleast you went out and did what you could.

Better luck next time !

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

What kind of audtion was it Sapho?

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

put new strings on stretch them by pulling them up and down the neck.... and also tune them higher so your e string make it an f.... then just before playing tune back to normal

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sapho

Congrats on doing well at your audition. It is so important to relax when performing in front of people, but it is so hard to do. :D

Don't worry about a few little mistakes, most people don't even notice. When you do make a mistake, just keep playing and smiling like nothing happened. It's all you can do really.

I like to change strings at least a day before performing. After putting the new strings on I just play and do lots of bends on every string up and down the neck. Then I check the tuning. I just keep doing this until the guitar quits going out of tune, usually takes just a few minutes.

By the way, what was this audition for?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nhboy)
Eminent Member

What I do is tune about half step above pitch then bend and keep tuning back up until they don't fall in pitch anymore

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2