Changing the "mood" of a song

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have been wondering lately if its possible to change the feeling of a song. For example, (please bear with me as I go a little out there) if you had a Christmas song like Jingle Bells, would it be possible to play it different and make it a Blues sounding song. But still be recognizable as the original song?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

I don't have enough experience with music theory to give you any tehnical advice but I have to think this is possible. I know I have heard songs that have been changed up and their moods changed, although none come to mind at this point.

Hopefully somone else can give you a better explanation.

MrClean

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

You most certainly can change the mood. Dramatically so if you want :D

People can, and do, make arrangements of songs in all sorts of moods.

Last week I saw a pianist on a music quiz show do the same tune four or five completely different ways. He started in the way that Mozart would have done it, progressed through a couple of other styles and ended up with his idea of what a Brittany Spears version might sound like.

It was clever playing and all the styles were all instanty recognisable (except the last one. I must be the last person in the world who has never actually seen or heard Ms Spears).

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I must be the last person in the world who has never actually seen or heard Ms Spears).

Aye carumba!!

Save you ears.. you dont need to hear but you must see!!.. Just make sure its an older photo or wait a few month til the baby has come and shes had time to work it off.

Back on subject. I have heard people doing this as well. But in drastic examples, like the one I gave, I am not sure if it works or even how to make it work. I can make a decently bluesy sound on my guitar but I am not sure how to take a normally upbeat song and make it sound bluesy.

Actually, not as I am writing this I can kind of hear a bluesy "Jingle Bells" but the words dont seem to fit well with it.

Humm, must think on this more.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams vs Marilyn Manson's cover. Perfect example, totally different feel.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

From what I am gathering it has to do with the Key of the song and the tempo...I believe if you use more "minor" chords it becomes "sadder" and the "major" chords are more "uplifting". Also changing the strumming pattern could make a HUGE dofference....

Mind you I am a newbie! :P

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

I would think you could substitute some minor keys or "7th's" for some major ones.

Also, blues to me is much slower and the tempo varies quite a bit within the song (think a Willie Nelson solo...). I think this is what give blues its "feeling".

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member

It would seem the easiest way to switch moods is go from major to minor. . . Within, for example, a solo, would you just switch to the relative minor of the major key you're playing in- C major to A minor and have any accompanying rhythm instruments switch the focus to the Am chord, for instance?

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I would say the BEST (well, maybe not the all time best, but A VERY GOOD) example is A perfect circle's cover of John Lennon's "Imagine", A perfect circle's cover is extremely dark, heavy and almost sounds like a funeral march. The original tune is definitely alot different.

But there are other examples of this for example, "What a wonderful world" The Ramones version compared to the original is definitely different but not as obvious as the other one.

Messing around with harmony (using 5ths instead of rich harmonies of 3 or 4 notes gives a heavier sound), rhythm/tempo and melody are good ways to change the feel of a song.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@shadychar)
Trusted Member

It would seem the easiest way to switch moods is go from major to minor. . . Within, for example, a solo, would you just switch to the relative minor of the major key you're playing in- C major to A minor and have any accompanying rhythm instruments switch the focus to the Am chord, for instance?Or even easier, just switch to the parallel minor key, i.e. C minor in this case.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Agreed, I've always found that when switching to the relative minor, it's fairly tough to conveigh that change, because the notes are the same.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Tempo, Key, Chord substitutions any or all of these.
Just a change of tempo alone has a drastic effect.
I can play Classical Gas but at a much slower tempo than it is suppose to be. Everyone that hears me play it recognizes it right away but the slow tempo gives it almost a haunting quality.
Good example of this is the original version of "Layla" compared to Claptons unplugged version (I like the unplugged version better)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Here's an example of what can be done to change the mood of a tune:
http://www.electricmp3.com/main/bands/28/ Click on "Star Spangled Blues." (Streaming, or can be downloaded.)
This is my arrangement of the familiar "Star Spangled Banner." Intended as a 9/11 tribute, it's got three different verses. The first is rather traditional sounding, interrupted at the final note by two big "bangs." A slow, mournful minor key verse follows, morphing at the end into an upbeat "boogie" version with a somewhat pompous finish. Sort of a "We Shall Overcome" idea. Try to overlook the technically inept playing and poor recording quality. This is an electric version I recorded on my little iMac in July 2005. I'm about to play it this Sunday (9/11) in church on my resonator guitar, and I'll record a track of that. In fact, I'm just about to go down there to play it for a sound check at choir practice.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great illustration of the point John. :D

Nice coincidence with the man in the poster looking over your shoulder on your web page pic too!! Jimi Hendrix' rock version of Star Spangled Banner is one of the most famous of all.

Anyone who wanted to hear 3 completely different moods and arrangements could download a "standard" version of the song by a military brass band, (or a High School marching band), and then listen to your blues version and Jimi's rock version. :shock:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for that perfect example. That was exactly what I meant. Great song too BTW

Geoo

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2