Cheap Korean guitars on ebay ?

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Are they to good to be true ?

My two favourite guitars have always been the fender jazzmaster and the thinline telecaster.
I've promised myself a genuine japanese jazzmaster for graduation in two years time, but in the meantime
I found this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THINLINE-TELE-semi-hollow-guitar-from-Wolf-LEFT-HANDED_W0QQitemZ270074864187QQihZ017QQcategoryZ68177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ash body, semi hollow, maple neck, decent tuners, workmanship looks pretty good - rubbish electronics id say but not that bothered to be honest.
So is it worth it ? Looks like a bargin to me, but anyone with experience of these type of companies ?

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I don't know about Legend or Wolf, but I have two Korean made guitars.

My DeArmond Jetstar is well made and great sounding, the only issue I've had was that the pick guard and pickups were not aligned up with the strings, a some what easy fix. Pickups are U.S. made and are really nice. Action is perfect, it's pretty cool for an oddball guitar.

I also have an Epiphone Supernova. It's a 335 type guitar that, I guess, Noel Gallagher from Oasis helped design, I feel that it's comparable to my 67 335 except for the electronics, it actually has a better feeling neck than my Gibson.

I also think that the Fender Squire 51 that just about everyone here has purchased are made in Korea, and everyone seems to be happy.

I'm not sure on the price though, maybe a little high? Someone from your neck of the woods can answer this better than me.

I've never ordered a guitar online, I prefer to hold it in my hands before purchasing, I'm kinda old school that way. But others have here.

His feedback history is good also.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@kidzer)
Eminent Member

Ooh, I like the look of some of those double-neck guitars, but I don't trust eBay!

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I would definately buy this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Double-TWIN-NECK-Electric-Guitar-6-12-string-by-Wolf_W0QQitemZ270074868751QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
double neck if i didn't just buy a new guitar in september, actually i would anyways but my parents wouldn't let me :x. So maybe next year then :wink:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't know why, but they smell of Gouda to me.

Opinion completely based on the ebay page with nothing factual to support my position.

It could be Winsleydale though.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I've heard of Wolf guitars... Korean made guitars are awesome... I own two and they are fine instruments... I'd say the issue here isn't that they are made in Korea (you can claim anything) but who is selling them...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The question should have nothing to do with where the guitars are made, but to what quality standard.
Samick makes guitars for more companies than you can name. They build to a design and quality (probably heavily price-based), specified by the customer. Until fairly recently, they produced many of the Epiphone line and may well still produce the Dot and Sheraton. Against that, you will find any number of guitars, which are actually produced by Samick, but have some name (perhaps, even Legend or Wolf) stuck on the headstock. They may be produced on the same production line, but certainly not to the same quality (generic tuners, cheap pickups, thin chrome plating, lax quality control, etc).
Someone made the comment that Korean-built guitars are better than Chinese-built. Epiphone builds it's guitars in China. No-one would claim that Epi guitars are worse than no-names from Korea, would they?
Rondo buys from Korea, probably from Samick, and "Agile", "SX", etc are really no-names.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I must agree with that it is not if a guitar (or anything) is made in China or Korea that defines the quality.
It is the specification that they are manufactured according too, that sets the quality.
If Boing can build planes in China to the same quality as they are building planes i US, a Chinese manufacturer should be able to manufacture a Fender guitar according to US Fender specifications.
But most chinese manufactured guitars ( even brand name ones) are built according lower quality specs and with low cost parts.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Here's a quote from KHL Corporation
We have been
producing several world-famous branded guitars by OEM basis and also
selling our brand Wolf Guitars to the abroad markets.

All feedback I've been able to find suggests that build quality is high, even higher then the branded guitars they've made, and that the pickups are poor - but they've got to cut corners somewhere and as long as its not in construction or materials i dont really mind.

Anyway I think I'll give it a shot, its pretty cheap - cheaper than: epiphone g-310 or les paul special II, yamaha pacifica and the same price as a squier affinity strat. hard to go wrong at that.

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

My PRS Santana SE is Korean made and no problem with quality there. It's a real PRS guitar in every way. I also purchased on e-Bay but I called the place before buying and found out that it was a genuine store selling off new old stock.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Well 120.00 pounds equates to roughtly $235.00 american. For that amt. you can get a well made Squier Tele

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I just happen to have one of those and I like it very much.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Just to clarify I do think it's the ebay page. I have no problems whatsoever with Korean, Chinese, Mexican, Canadian, or Japanese guitars. Now guitars made in Ulan Bator....that's another story.

....and American made guitars are okay too.

So TR...how about a review? Build quality, pickups, fretwork, tuners etc. Did you do any upgrades?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well ....... I bought it to have a Tele. I play classic rock leaning towards classic metal, so this was a different kind of instrument for me. It looks beautiful. The neck is good with no fret buzz. It intonated well ... the tuners are smooth .... but it was not the sound I was acustomed to so ........ all you Tele fans plug your ears ..... I put a Duncan Tele Hot Rails in the bridge. It screams! I did install a push pull coil tap in the tone control to make it sound somewhat tele like when needed.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Well 120.00 pounds equates to roughtly $235.00 american. For that amt. you can get a well made Squier Tele
You can't convert like that. UK (and many European) prices are often very close in local currency to US prices in dollars.
A '51 costs €179 in Germany (ca. $220) + postage - you'll only get that price online.
Street price for a Fender Blues Junior is about €480 (again online).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote